Sunday, May 11, 2008

silly me... an interesting mother's day

So Mother's Day was eventful this year.

I woke up a little bit late. I was trying to cook breakfast and get things ready at the same time and burnt breakfast (my kids are too young to cook... and Alfredo had to work). I opened the front room window to let the smell air out. (charcoaled bacon does NOT smell or taste good).

We ate, got ready and were on our way to church. I rushed out the door and just grabbed keys as I was running out the door. When I got home from church, I realized that I managed to grab just a set of car keys with no house key. So we were locked out. Well, I thought, we'll go visit Alfredo at work and get the house key from him. So we did. He bought us lunch (it's Sunday, I know, but we were all starving by 1:15 and it is Mother's Day so I made an exception). Then we drove back home. About a mile from our house, Michelle said she didn't feel good. She said she was going to throw up. I said we were almost home. She said she really felt sick. I handed her a tupperware container that had held cereal but was now empty. She immediately vomited 3 times into the container (which I promptly threw away once we got home).

So we were home. But the key Alfredo had given me was actually a spare key to my aunt's house and not the key to our house. So we were still locked out. Well, no big deal. I had left the window open (to air out the burned bacon) so I just had to get the screen off and climb through the window and unlock the door. So I grabbed the ladder. But while the window is not very high up, the ground underneath it is uneven. And so the ladder was not very steady. And I'm 6 months pregnant. And I'm naturally clutzy. Just as I was thinking that climbing the ladder was probably not such a great idea for me, Janene and Chris drove by. I flagged them down, Chris climbed the ladder, removed the screen and unlocked the door. (thanks chris!!) I took my children inside, cleaned Michelle up and we all laid down to watch a movie. Fortunately, Michelle hasn't thrown up since and seems to be feeling fine. I've decided to take tomorrow off anyway, just in case she is up during the night or is sick tomorrow.

What an exciting day we had! I hate when I do dumb things like lock myself out. Alfredo was very sweet, not saying anything about how silly it was that with all the sets of keys we have I took the one that had no house key. And he took care of dinner tonight. He also watched the girls last night so I could go see a movie. very sweet. it really was a pretty good day, just a little more eventful than I had planned.

3 comments:

  1. If that EVER happens again, would you please come get some help - PLEASE! We don't have to be so independent all the time. I'm glad it all worked out in the end! Have a HAPPY DAY OFF!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate when I do silly things like that too! Hope Michelle is feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE charcoaled bacon:) Thank goodness for the container to throw up in!! Glad you burned the bacon and opened the window!! WHAT A CRAPPY DAY!! I think I would have been in tears and had a few choice words to say!!

    ReplyDelete