Saturday, November 25, 2017

Giving Thanks

What a beautiful holiday it was Thursday!  I loved spending time with family and eating delicious food.  We had Thanksgiving Dinner at our house this year.  Elaine and Suzy and my grandpa came.  Then later that night we went to Patty's house for Thanksgiving Dinner with Alfredo's family.  The weather was beautiful and it was a lovely day. But I was a terrible photographer...I only got a couple of shots and they were all of food, other than one selfie as I was cooking.



I love how the Thanksgiving season gives us an opportunity to count our many blessings and name them one by one.  This month, I've tried to post one or more things I'm thankful for each day.  Here are some of the things I posted:

It's November 1! Today I began talking to my students about gratitude...what it means, how to show gratitude and why it matters. Today my family will begin recording 1 or 2 things each in a gratitude journal each day. And today, I will begin sharing things that I feel grateful for.
Many years ago, I read a picture book called "The Secret of Saying Thanks" by Douglas Wood. In the book, he writes "We do not give thanks because we are happy. We are happy because we give thanks." I believe this is true. In fact, I know it is true...both because I've read research about it and because in the times I choose to express gratitude, I am happier! I have much to be thankful for and I love taking the opportunity to make a public list of a few of these things.
Today I am thankful for the power of gratitude in my life! I'm grateful for an entire month when I can focus on all the wonderful things in my life. And I'm thankful that spending November counting my blessings seems to help rub off on my attitude for much of the year.

I am grateful for appliances...especially these that represent the food that I am able to prepare for my family. I am grateful that I know how to cook and that we have a variety of foods to nourish us. I'm grateful that we are able to sit down and enjoy meals together nearly every day. And I'm very grateful that I don't have to wash dishes by hand.


Grateful for my right/responsibility to vote. It's a privilege and blessing to have the opportunity to exercise my civic responsibility
Plants! They are beautiful. They provide us with oxygen, food, and medicines. Plants help remove bacteria and chemicals from water. Plants are wonderful and necessary for life! (Credit also needs to be given to Alfredo because he keeps the plants alive and healthy in our home.)


So very thankful for the inspired messages and leadership we have from these prophets and apostles! There are few things I love more than General Conference! And I genuinely love studying their messages.

Canyons, waterfalls, mountains, streams, beaches...so many beautiful places to see in this world!







I am thankful for clean, running water!
According to dosomething.org, more than 750 million people lack access to clean drinking water. 750 million people! 842,000 people die each year from diarrhea due to the lack of clean drinking water, poor sanitation and limited hand washing.
There are many things that I tend to take for granted. But I know that I am more fortunate than so many...and simply because of the location I was born, not due to anything I did to deserve these opportunities and blessings. I am thankful...and I try to give back. My contribution is small, but even small contributions add up. Gratitude makes us more aware of the suffering around us and fosters empathy.

Today I am grateful that I get to spend my days teaching. And I'm grateful for poetry. My students wrote a thankful poem today using sentence stems I provided. (And I must apologize because I found the idea online but don't know where). Here's mine--it's not especially poetic or beautiful, but it does express a few of the things I'm grateful for:
I am thankful for my family, friends, teachers and mentors.
I wonder if I can brighten someone’s day?
I hear waves crashing on the shore.
I see majestic mountains, enormous waterfalls, rainbows, and clouds shaped like animals.
I want to be a force for good in the world.
I am grateful for chocolate, warm blankets, running water, and so much more.
I pretend that I can snap my fingers and dinner will be cooked and the house cleaned.
I feel happy when I’m reading a great book.
I am appreciative of how hard my husband works and how much he makes us laugh.
I understand that learning should never end and knowledge gives us power.
I dream of a world at peace.
I try to be kind to everyone I encounter and learn something new each day.
I hope to travel to Africa, Costa Rica, Japan and many other places.
I am glad that I spend time with the people I love.

Grateful for toothbrushes, mouthwash, soap and other hygiene items!
I am so very thankful for public libraries!! I nearly always have 25-50 books checked out. I am grateful that they have books, audio books, CDs, DVDs, programs and so many other resources. In a book I read recently, author April Pulley Sayre defined librarians this way: "The heart of a school or other community, the person whose work energizes circulation, constantly refreshing the flow of knowledge among readers, writers, educators, classrooms, and curious beings in general. The folks who help human minds cross time and space to learn and cross-pollinate ideas. Also known as: the best chance the human race has of getting smarter over time and not repeating mistakes." Thank you libraries and librarians!

Love this new shirt that Alfredo bought for me!   And I love the new furniture we bought.  I'm sitting in front of Michelle's new headboard.  Then down below is Ella's new dresser and headboard.


I'm grateful for my good health. Grateful for doctors and modern medicine. Grateful that I am alive!

I am so thankful for the scriptures! I am so thankful for their power to improve my life and transform me. Elder Russell M. Nelson said, "The truths of the Book of Mormon have the power to heal, comfort, restore, succor, strengthen, console and cheer our souls."  I am grateful for their power in my life and in the lives of my family members!!


David Steindl-Rast said, "We have thousands of opportunities every day to be grateful: for having good weather, to have slept well last night, to be able to get up, to be healthy, to have enough to eat..There's opportunity upon opportunity to be grateful; that's what life is."

Today I am thankful for the amazing Young Women that I get to serve alongside. These are the 12-18 year old girls at my church (minus a couple who I don't have photos of...I need to remedy that). They are so much fun! But more important than being fun, these girls are kind, talented, loving, and so willing to help others. They make me laugh. And they remind me that with such hard-working, determined, intelligent and compassionate teenagers, our future is bright! I am so lucky to get to spend so much time with them.  And I absolutely love the other women that I have served alongside and that I'm currently serving alongside.  It's such a tremendous blessing to serve in the church!



Grateful for cell phones which make it easy to communicate with friends and family, near and far.

Grateful for a good night's sleep, new bedroom furniture, soft pillows and warm blankets

I am grateful for my eyes that I can see and my ears that I can hear. I can see the beauties of the Earth, the smiles on my children's faces, the words in books, flowers blooming, raindrops & snowflakes falling, stunning artwork, and a million other magnificent sights. I can hear babies coo, the laughter of my loved ones, the greetings of friends, the teachings of prophets, books on CD, glorious music, and so much more. I am thankful!

I have wonderful parents. My mom is intelligent, hard-working, patient, forgiving, and calm. So much of who I am I owe to her. As a child, I remember regular trips to the library and she read to us often, beginning my lifelong love of reading and learning. My mom was so calm and patient, never raising her voice or losing her temper (I want to be more like her in that way!) She serves faithfully in the church. She is a wonderful grandmother. My dad is intelligent and loving and a wonderful grandfather. He cares deeply about issues and about this nation. As a child, I remember listening to my dad, my grandpa and other adults discuss politics. We were never excluded from the conversation because they were talking about "adult" topics. I learned to think deeply and ask questions, and I learned that adults can disagree but not be disagreeable and can still love and respect one another. My stepdad is also such a blessing in my life. I have learned a great deal about loving others from him. He's tried to help me not take things quite so seriously and to find the humor in life (although I'm still pretty serious). My stepdad instituted regular family scripture study and family prayer in our home when he married my mom. I have such wonderful parents and I'm so very thankful for these and many other lessons I've learned from them.


I am thankful for my grandparents. Only one of my grandparents is still living, but they all lived into my adulthood and all taught me valuable lessons. I grew up just a couple of miles from my paternal grandparents and spent much of my childhood at their home. My maternal grandparents were here in Utah (while I was raised in AZ), but each summer my sisters and I would come spend most of the summer at their house. If I were to begin to describe my memories, this post would be book-length. So I'll stick to just a few highlights about each. My paternal grandfather encouraged us to ask questions, taught us to forgive others, and he was kind and gentle. (And he had the best sense of humor...a quirky sense of humor, but how I miss it!) My paternal grandmother was always serving others...whether it was taking a disabled friend to the grocery store, babysitting neighborhood children for free, or just lending a listening ear. She prayed every morning to have the opportunity to help someone and few days passed that she didn't find someone to help. My maternal grandfather is a quiet, calm man and a hard worker (much like his daughter, my mother). He loves animals and was a talented mechanie. My maternal grandmother was an expert gardener and seamstress. As little girls, my sisters and I spent countless hours picking raspberries and playing in her large yard/garden. She made many (probably most) of my clothes when I was a young child. I feel very blessed that I had my grandparents in my life for such a very long time. I was just telling a friend today about the big Christmas parties that we'd have at Sahuaro Ranch Park with my paternal grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. I remember being young and being excited to grow up and be allowed to participate in the white elephant gift exchange, because the adults seemed to have so much fun. I am so #thankful for my grandparents as well as aunts, uncles, and cousins!!


Even the Trees...Poem by Nikki Grimes (In her book Thanks A Million)
Trees, arms raised in praise,
demonstrate the attitude
of gratitude. Look!
I am thankful for this month where we take a moment to slow down and contemplate all that we have to be grateful for. I'm grateful for trees which do remind us to look up and give thanks. I'm grateful to have had the opportunity to do some traveling in my life and to have been able to see a wide wonder of beautiful trees (as well as rivers, waterfalls, flowers, buildings, people, etc.).

Bryce Canyon

Bryce Canyon

Torrey Pines State Park...San Diego

Muir Woods

Muir Woods
I'm grateful for friends. Friends that accept me for who I am and encourage me to become even better. Friends who seem to see only diamond when my coal-like self shines through. Friends who make me laugh & smile and sometimes roll my eyes. Friends who listen to my endless stories about what I've learned from whatever book I'm currently reading. Friends who have become like additional moms to my children. Colleagues who have become friends and with whom I have learned and grown so much. Friends who make my world a better and brighter place to live. Words can't adequately express my gratitude for friendship! I have the best people in my life and I truly am thankful and blessed!

Of course, my very greatest blessings are the gospel of Jesus Christ and my family.  I already mentioned my grandparents and parents.  I also have two absolutely amazing sisters.  They are intelligent, talented, compassionate, determined and such great examples.  I love them so very much!

And I have a wonderful husband and three beautiful children.  I've been thinking a lot lately about how grateful I am for Alfredo.  So many of my blessings are because of him.  We have a beautiful home that he is always improving in some way (as I type this, he is painting our downstairs family room!) He works hard.  He makes us all laugh so much!   He is a loyal friend.  He is intelligent.  He takes care of the yard (which I really appreciate because I don't like yard work at all.)  He cares for our dogs.  He does so much for all of us and I don't always take the time to show my appreciation. But I love him and I'm so very grateful for him.




My girls get lots of posts, but I just adore them.  They are growing up so fast!  Michelle is such a great helper.  She is enthusiastic about learning and about design.  She is very responsible.  She is a loving and loyal friend.  She really tries to do what is right.  She is very talented and so.very.beautiful!


Ella is so compassionate. She loves animals.  She does her homework as soon as she gets home from school each day.  She loves younger children.  She is intelligent.  She notices when others are lonely or sad and tries to brighten their day.  She is strong and has overcome some difficult challenges in her life.  I am certain she is going to do amazing things in her life.

Gabby is full of spark and personality.  Just one example...a couple of weeks ago, we were driving home from Michelle's violin lesson and we were playing 20 questions.  They were trying to guess what I was thinking of.  They asked, "Do we have this in our house?"  I said sometimes, but not right now.  Gabby said, "A good attitude?"  She makes us laugh all the time. She is a graceful dancer.  She is a loving friend.  She is also very intelligent. We love this sweet curly-haired girl!
I am so blessed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment