Sunday, January 23, 2022

All Thirteen Meditation


 I mentioned in my last post how much I loved the book All Thirteen.  So much!


And there were so many great lessons in the book.


Soontornvat wrote in her author's note: "There are so many lessons to be learned from this rescue.  The lesson I wanted to share the most comes from Coach Ek and the boys, who-like their rescuers-defied impossible odds.  They taught me that 'impossible' exists only in your mind.  You are capable of so much more than you can even imagine." (page 222)

I walked away from this book with such gratitude for the sacrifices made by so many to rescue these boys.  But also with such admiration for these boys.  Also in the author's note, Soontornvat writes that she wondered how their fame would affect the boys.  The boys were invited to attend the Youth Olympic Games as guests of honor.  The team were to walk out into the crowded station.  They gathered in a huddle to decide how to enter.  Should they wave?  Should they wai (bow to the audience)?  The boys quickly agreed that heroes wave.  They were not the heroes--their rescuers were--and so they would they would walk out and wai to show their respect and humility and gratitude.  (page 225) 

The boys were in the cave with their coach for nearly 10 days before anyone found them.  10 days in the dark.  10 days with no food. (They did have fresh water dripping into the cave.)  10 days of not knowing if they would be found or if they would get out.  10 days of cold.  How did they do it?  I am sure I don't know all the answers, but the book explained that Coach Ek has always encouraged the boys to make decisions together on and off the field.  That has developed an ability to problem solve and a closeness with one another.  Coach Ek is determined to keep the boys calm and safe.  He is Buddhist, has spent time as a novice monk, and practices meditation.   The team typically begins each practice with meditation.  Coach Ek has them spend time meditating while in the cave.  About the only thing they can control while in the cave is their own mind.  They focus on their breathing and become aware of their body's discomfort and pain without letting these concerns overwhelm or control them.  This mental toughness and exercise in mindfulness allow them to stay calm and to be resilient despite the obvious difficulties.  

I am also impressed with the boys humility and gratitude.  I am impressed by the respect they show their teammates, their coach, and others.  When the rescue finally begins, only 4 boys can be rescued on the first day.  The coach again has the team make the decision together.  No one really wants to be first.  Coach Ek suggests that the boys who live farthest from the cave be evacuated first so they can go through town and tell people that the team is safe and coming out.  The team agrees.  I imagine this discussion going much differently if this had been American children, though perhaps I am wrong.

These boys and their coach are impressive.  They are normal children, and also very special and impressive children.

THINGS LEARNED:

1.  If I can master my mind, I can survive better in stressful situations and accomplish so much more than if I allow doubts, panic or other negative emotions to control me.

2.  Teamwork and group decision making often yields far better outcomes. It isn't easy to work together, to agree, to take one another's counsel and to consider others' needs but it is a much more powerful way to reach decisions.

3.  Gratitude and humility...these are characteristics that I need to master much better.  I'm so impressed by the gratitude and humility these boys displayed over and over.

4.  Mindfulness or meditation is powerful!

No comments:

Post a Comment