Sunday, August 13, 2023

Priesthood Blessing Back to School

 Tonight my mom, Mike, and Suzy came for dinner.  Michelle and Chris were here as well.  It was a nice opportunity to visit.  

I asked Mike to give me a blessing as I head back to school.  My girls opted not to have blessings which I'm sad about.  I didn't make it a priority to find someone to give them blessings when they were young and so they haven't had many priesthood blessings, and they don't seem to see their importance or value.  I wish I had done better at teaching them that.

Here's what I remember of my blessing.  Mike told me that I was deeply loved.  He said that Heavenly Father was pleased with me and the ways that I serve and live.  He said that I should be cautious as my children grow and as it will be just Gabby, Alfredo and I at home that I continue to prioritize my family and bring joy to my husband and children. (I nearly laughed out loud at that.  Alfredo got angry with me today.  It rarely seems like I do things that bring him joy even though I try.  Ironically, we had a lesson in Relief Society today on unity and being one and avoiding contention.  And I walked in from church and almost immediately there was contention between Alfredo and I.  I remained calm and while I did answer him, I responded by telling him I loved him (to which he replied that if I did I would keep the house cleaner...which is hurtful because after everyone else headed to bed, I cleaned up the family room where we'd all watched a movie together and they left food and napkins and blankets and I cleaned the kitchen including mopping the floors.  I clean every day but my bedroom is a mess and "I've been off all summer" so I should have a perfectly spotless and organized home and should have spent my summer doing projects he would value. Anyway, enough of that.  He does so many good things for our family, and he has many gifts and talents and I love him.  But I wish he would express his frustration in kinder ways and I wish he noticed all that I do and thanked me for it more often.)

Back to the blessing.  I was blessed to be able to make a difference in the lives of the students I teach this year and in the future as I have in the past.  That I would help them in and out of the classroom.  I was cautioned to not become overwhelmed by my responsibilities at work and with callings and to continue to put effort into strengthening my home and family.   I was blessed that I would know how much I am loved.  

No comments:

Post a Comment