Wednesday, March 20, 2013

"Change is the only constant"

"Continuity gives us roots; change gives us branches, letting us stretch and grow and reach new heights." ~Pauline R. Kezer

This is the time of year when we begin to think about staffing for next year. It is the time of year when our principal asks if anyone wants to change grade levels. Well, I must have cursed myself because yesterday when she sent an email asking if anyone wanted to change grade levels, I told my friends..."The last thing I want right now is to change grade levels." I am quite busy and finally feeling quite comfortable in second grade (this is my 3rd year in 2nd grade). I have a lot going on in my life, and my youngest starts school next year which will add a 3rd child doing homework and reading to the mix. On top of working full time, piano and violin lessons and being relief society president. SO I absolutely did NOT want to change grade levels.

But today, I got called into the principal's office and she asked me to move to fourth grade. I nearly cried. She is moving Brenda to fourth grade with me. She explained that she really wanted someone with a positive attitude and who genuinely loves the kids and can create a warm and caring classroom. So I am moving to fourth grade. I will have a good team...Brenda, Megan and I (unless Brenda gets a job overseas, she has just applied for some jobs in Europe.) But neither Brenda nor I have ever taught fourth grade. It will be a lot of work figuring out what I'm doing and learning a new curriculum, and this hardly seems like an ideal time to switch grade levels.

I really was content to grow roots, but apparently it is time for me to grow branches.

Apparently, the Lord (and my principal) has a lot more confidence in my abilities to adjust, cope with change, and still be a good wife, mother and Relief Society President. It is important to me that none of these areas suffers, but there are days when I feel absolutely exhausted trying to do so much right now. And I'm teaching a grade I know and love and I have mostly planned the rest of the year. How will I manage it all next year when I'm in a new grade? But I will trust that the Lord knows what he is doing. I told a couple of people about it today, and sweet Mike Kraniski said, "Well, maybe this will turn out to be a blessing in some way that you can't even imagine right now." So I will trust that if the Lord believes I can do it, then somehow I can. Certainly, there are others that have been given bigger responsibilities than I.

When I was listening to No Doubt About It by Sheri Dew she told about President Benson in the 1950's. He was the father of 6 kids, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve, and the secretary of agriculture under Dwight D. Eisenhower. A church member once asked him how he did it all. He replied in words to this effect: "I work as hard as I can and I try my best to be obedient so the Lord knows I am mindful of him. Then I have the faith he will make up the difference between what I am able to do and what I am not able to do. And he does." So he will for me as well.

2 comments:

  1. I think of all the wonderful qualities you have, Jenny, this one is my favorite...your ability to see the good in every situation. You are so faithful and I am so inspired by you.

    ReplyDelete