Sunday, January 22, 2017

Favorite Scriptures

One of my former Young Women (former because she is now 18 and preparing for a mission), texted me earlier this week and asked me what my favorite scripture is and why.  I did a bit of thinking and replied that I couldn't possibly tell her just one because there are so many that have been meaningful to me at different points of my life.  So I shared several.  She ended up sharing a few back and then I shared a couple more.  What a blessing it is to have the scriptures!  After this series of texts, I thought I should record the scriptures I'd shared as a record so I could remember and so I could share with my children. I want my children to know that I love the scriptures and that they bring me comfort.

Moroni 7:48 is one of my very favorite:  " Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be purified even as he is pure. Amen."   I have experienced being filled with this love for others...it's a wonderful experience...and there is nothing I want more than to become like Him!   Really, I love the whole chapter of Moroni 7.

I love D&C 6...the whole chapter, but especially verse 6:  "Behold, thou art Oliver, and I have spoken unto thee because of thy desires; therefore treasure up these words in thy heart. Be faithful and diligent in keeping the commandments of God, and I will encircle thee in the arms of my love."  I like to put my name in that verse...I want to live so that I can be encircled in the arms of His love.

Revelation 21:3-4 "And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away."   Those verses comfort me during hard and lonely times.  

1 Timothy 4:12 "Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity."  This helps me remember how I want to live.

2 Nephi 2:24 "But behold, all things have been done in the wisdom of Him who knoweth all things."  This helps me keep perspective and remember there is a purpose to all that I experience.  He is in charge.  He is aware of me.  

Mosiah 2:16-25 "16 Behold, I say unto you that because I said unto you that I had spent my days in your service, I do not desire to boast, for I have only been in the service of God.
 17 And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.
 18 Behold, ye have called me your king; and if I, whom ye call your king, do labor to serve you, then ought not ye to labor to serve one another?
 19 And behold also, if I, whom ye call your king, who has spent his days in your service, and yet has been in the service of God, do merit any thanks from you, O how you ought to thank your heavenly King!
 20 I say unto you, my brethren, that if you should render all the thanks and praise which your whole soul has power to possess, to that God who has created you, and has kept and preserved you, and has caused that ye should rejoice, and has granted that ye should live in peace one with another—
 21 I say unto you that if ye should serve him who has created you from the beginning, and is preserving you from day to day, by lending you breath, that ye may live and move and do according to your own will, and even supporting you from one moment to another—I say, if ye should serve him with all your whole souls yet ye would be unprofitable servants.
 22 And behold, all that he requires of you is to keep his commandments; and he has promised you that if ye would keep his commandments ye should prosper in the land; and he never doth vary from that which he hath said; therefore, if ye do keep his commandments he doth bless you and prosper you.
 23 And now, in the first place, he hath created you, and granted unto you your lives, for which ye are indebted unto him.
 24 And secondly, he doth require that ye should do as he hath commanded you; for which if ye do, he doth immediately bless you; and therefore he hath paid you. And ye are still indebted unto him, and are, and will be, forever and ever; therefore, of what have ye to boast?
 25 And now I ask, can ye say aught of yourselves? I answer you, Nay. Ye cannot say that ye are even as much as the dust of the earth; yet ye were created of the dust of the earth; but behold, it belongeth to him who created you."

These verses really touched me while I was serving as RS President.  I felt the Lord's blessings so powerfully in my life even during some difficult challenges.  I love these verse because I have a strong testimony of service, because the verses help me to be humble (something I sometimes struggle with) and to recognize and acknowledge both my dependence on the Lord and the way that He pours out blessings on us...so much more than we deserve or could ever earn.  And as we express gratitude and try to serve Him, He continues to pour out blessings.   If I'm feeling like that isn't happening, then it is time to do some self-assessment...am I not noticing or remembering the blessings?  Am I not serving and keeping the commandments?  Am I turning away from Him instead of toward Him?  Because we will all have hard times, trials and challenges, but even in those hard times there are blessings if we have eyes to see and hearts to feel.  I don't always...but I am trying to get better at all of these things.  

I also have a lot of verses of scripture about the Holy Ghost that I love as well as about the Savior.  I love Alma 7:11-13 and 3 Nephi 17:5-8, 10, 21-25...both demonstrate the Lord's love for us and how he heals us and succors us.   And I love 1 Nephi 4:6, John 14:26, and Moroni 10:5 because they teach me more about the Holy Ghost.  

These are just a few...there are many more scriptures that have touched me in some way or another.  But these are scriptures that are particularly meaningful for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment