Sunday, December 6, 2020

Mike's Grandma Shoes

 My dear stepdad Mike shared this story:

One day in my American Government class in my senior year of high school, my teacher Mr. Robert Smith asked me to stay after class. Oh man, what did I do now?
Alone in class he asked if I was Frances Graves' grandson. I told him that I was. He asked, "Did your grandmother ever say anything to you about me?" No sir, why?
His reply told me a great deal about my grandmother. Mr. Smith came from a very poor family. He and his siblings went to school either in their bare feet or in shoes that were worn out. He had several siblings. Anyhow, he told me that one day my grandmother showed up with shoes for all of the children, and he never forgot her kindness. This was in the 1930's-1040's and times were tough. Don't know how Grandma could afford it. I know Grandpa helped.
Grandma was a school teacher for close to 40 years, and Mr. Smith had been one of her students.

No comments:

Post a Comment