Sunday, June 20, 2010

Favorite Hymns...

or what I want sung at my funeral... (No, I am not planning to die soon or anything, but we just lost my grandma this past week...and for what it's worth, these are the songs I would want sung...)

**Lead, Kindly Light...probably my favorite hymn...especially verse two:

I was not ever thus, nor pray’d that thou
Shouldst lead me on.
I loved to choose and see my path; but now,
Lead thou me on!
I loved the garish day, and, spite of fears,
Pride ruled my will. Remember not past years.

97: "Lead, Kindly Light,” Hymns of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, no. 97


**Come, Come Ye Saints... I have loved reading about church history and I have many ancestors that crossed the plains. Somehow I can rarely make it through this song without tears in my eyes...I don't have the trials they have, but I know that this rings true:

Why should we mourn or think our lot is hard?
’Tis not so; all is right.
Why should we think to earn a great reward
If we now shun the fight?
Gird up your loins; fresh courage take.
Our God will never us forsake;
And soon we’ll have this tale to tell—
All is well! All is well!

And verse 4 talks about dying...And if we die before our journey's through, Happy day, all is well...we then are freed from toil and sorrow too, with the just we shall dwell.

30: "Come, Come, Ye Saints,” Hymns of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, no. 30


**God Be With You Till We Meet Again..(Hymn 152).it's just a perfect funeral song, knowing that we will be reunited thanks to our Savior's Atonement.

**O My Father (Hymn 292) is another of my very favorite hymns... today there was the most beautiful musical number at church with the Montgomery's playing the violin and clarinet and accompanied by the piano.

A few other hymns that I just love are:
*We Thank Thee O God for a Prophet
*Praise to the Man
*How Great Thou Art
*There is a Green Hill Far Away
*Now Let us Rejoice
*A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief
*Redeemer of Israel
*Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dear
    A Great sorry from my heart for loosing your grandma.The poem you had prepared id really intelligent and appreciable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny, I had no idea about your loss... I'm so sorry... lovely words... I'm sure I've heard some of them before....

    ReplyDelete