Saturday, June 5, 2010

Our singer/songwriter

Michelle loves to sing. At her birthday party, she was planning to perform a song. But then she got too embarrassed at the last minute and decided not to. She is always singing songs she learns at school, songs she hears on the radio.... and songs she makes up. Sometimes when she "reads" her homework book to me, she actually sings it to a tune.
In April, I asked her to record a message on our answering machine. She asked if she could sing a song, and I said yes. So she sang a cute, made up at that moment, song about spring. I wish I had written the words down before I changed the message in May, but it went something like this:

"Spring...one day you are rainy, the next you are sunny. It rains and it snows, the wind blows...Spring, you're a weirdo!"

She came home a few days ago telling me all about an assembly where the upper grade students played violins. They also, apparently, said goodbye to teachers who were retiring. One of which is her music teacher, Miss Shorten. She will really miss her music teacher who has taught them to sing and to use percussion instruments and to recognize the works of several composers and who has definitely ignited a passion for music in Michelle's heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment