Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Worth Week 2020: Day 3

This year we are doing something new. Each evening (Tuesday-Friday) we are having a short devotional via Zoom about worth week.

Today's devotional was by Dee Ann. She shared a story of a young woman who was looking for the truth. She was introduced to the gospel and joined the church. But didn't know she was a child of God. How could God know and love her, especially with her mistakes and weaknesses? Then she read 1 Chronicles 28:9..."And thou, Solomon my son, know thou the God of thy father, and serve him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind: for the Lord searcheth all hearts, and understandeth all the imaginations of the thoughts: if thou seek him, he will be found of thee; but if thou forsake him, he will cast thee off for ever." This scripture brought her closer to Heavenly Father and testified of her individual worth. Like David and Solomon (who made mistakes), she could be found of God. The Holy Ghost whispered to her that He knew her...her fears, strengths, weaknesses, gifts, talents, and all that she experiences.
DeeAnn shared a personal experience from about 30 years ago. Her family had a difficult decision to make. They prayed and reached a decision and it felt right. But then it seemed no one understood their choice. She felt depressed and alone. She felt like no one cared and no one supported them. Then one Sunday she went to church and sang, "How Firm a Foundation". As she sang the third verse, the spirit was there and tears streamed down her face. She felt like she was given an embrace.
" Fear not, I am with thee; oh, be not dismayed,
For I am thy God and will still give thee aid.
I’ll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by my righteous, upheld by my righteous,
Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand."
She knew that her family was known and loved by Heavenly Father. They weren't alone. He would give them the strength they needed. It didn't matter if other people understood because He did.
She reminded each of us that Heavenly Father knows us and loves us. He will help us. Pray to know that He loves YOU! Sometimes life is hard and we may have doubts or questions. But He'll help us. He wants us to be happy. He wants us to return to Him.

******
The gift today was a beautiful print from The Color Amber, entitled "In Her Image". It shows Heavenly Mother with a few of her precious daughters. It came with these words, penned by Amber Eldredge (The Color Amber):


We also gave the young women a copy of the gospel topics essay, Mother in Heaven. There is something special and wonderful when you understand that we have loving Heavenly PARENTS...a father and a mother. This is a doctrine I have long loved and cherished.

*******
After our devotional we had a panel discussion (via Zoom...while I would much rather be meeting with the young women in person, I'm so grateful for technology!). The wives of our Bishopric and our YW presidency were on the "panel" and the young women asked us questions. All of the questions and answers were so great. But I want to remember just a couple of things.

One of the questions was how do you remember your worth when your confidence dwindles?

One wife of a Bishopric member said she turns to her patriarchal blessing. It brings her confidence. It came from her Heavenly Father. It reminds her of who she is and where she came from. Another wife of a Bishopric member agreed that her patriarchal blessing helps. Then she said to be mindful of how Heavenly Father helps and blesses you--times when you have felt Him near. She shared a beautiful experience that her family had in Hawaii when they felt Him near and knew that He never lets them go. She said as we notice God's hand in our life, we are better able to remember our worth. One member of my presidency said to gather courage and ask your dad or a priesthood leader for a blessing. It does take courage but receiving a priesthood blessing helps remind you of who you are and how much you are loved. I shared 3 things...first, (and this might seem weird at first)...STUDY and come to know as much as you can about Heavenly Father and the Savior. When you really come to know God, to understand His attributes, then you will feel better about yourself. You'll still have weaknesses and imperfections...but if you really, truly understand who He is--and that you are His daughter, it gives you a better understanding of what you can become! Of the gifts and attributes you have inherited from Him. Second, pray for Him to show you how He feels about you. Interestingly, usually when I pray for Him to show me how He feels about me...He actually shows me how He feels about someone else...one of my children or the young women or someone in my ward. I'll be filled with this overwhelming, powerful feeling of love and tears will stream down my face...and I know that if He feels that way about them, then He feels that way about me too! And finally, have good friends! So often when my confidence lags, I will talk to my dear friends and tell them that. They can often see good in me when I struggle to see it in myself. I'm so grateful to have such good friends!!

Everyone was asked what advice they would give to the Young Women or would like the Young Women to know:

*Be yourself! It's okay to be you. And be kind always.
*You have parents and leaders that love you. Even when you are at your lowest. You are never alone. You can call or text or talk to your leaders and turn to them. They will listen. They are your cheerleaders. They have knowledge. They have the Spirit to help guide you and have been set apart to be your leaders. Remember you are never alone.
*YW has been a blessing to me since I was 12. Make YW a priority. Show up. Your leaders pour out their hearts to teach you and bring you closer to Christ.
*I am so impressed with all of you YW. You girls are dedicated and strong in the gospel. You have the spirit. You are valiant.
*Repentance is a blessing. When I was a YW I thought the goal was to never make a mistake so I wouldn't have to repent. But that's all wrong. Lynn G. Robbins said, "Repentance isn’t His backup plan in the event we might fail. Repentance is His plan, knowing that we will."  I'm so grateful for the Savior and His atonement and that it allows me to repent.  You will make mistakes.  You will need to repent...but the feeling of knowing that you are clean and worthy is so wonderful.  Also, remember there is a difference between worth and worthiness.  All of us sin.  We may have times when we aren't worthy but NOTHING changes our worth.  Our worth is inherent because we are children of God.   It doesn't matter if you make it on the team we try out for or we don't, if we have a 4.0 GPA or 2.0 GPA, if we are incredibly popular or have few friends, have lots of money or only a little...or any of the other things that the world might tell us define our value.   These things don't matter at all. Your worth never changes.  You are a child of God.   And He loves you.  Some of the most special experiences of my life have happened as I've received little glimpses of how much Heavenly Father loves you, young women.

No comments:

Post a Comment