Monday, June 8, 2020

Worth Week: Day 2

One thing we are doing a little differently this year is that we are having daily devotionals, Tuesday-Friday evening.  Just short messages about divine nature and individual worth.  But because I don't want to interfere with Family Home Evening, we aren't doing one today.  However, I have been sending "Monday Morning Messages" for the past several weeks as a way to just share a little spiritual thought with them and hopefully help start their week out well and remind them of my love.

Here's today's Monday Morning Message:

Have you ever noticed how much variety there is in trees, flowers, birds, fish and even insects? Our Heavenly Father and Savior were so precise and careful as they created this beautiful world for us. I absolutely believe that if they took such care with plants and animals, then they took even more care with us. They created us with the talents, gifts, and even weaknesses that will help us fulfill our unique mission in life. My talents and gifts are different than Esther’s or Mary’s or Emma Smith’s...or yours. But they are what I need so I can learn and grow and bless the lives of others around me.

“Woman is God’s supreme creation. Only after the earth had been formed, after the day had been separated from the night, after the waters had been divided from the land, after vegetation and animal life had been created, and after man had been placed on the earth, was woman created; and only then was the work pronounced complete and good.”—President Hinckley

When I am in nature and notice the incredible variety of plants and animals...as well as things like rivers and lakes and waterfalls, sunrises and sunsets, rainbows, and so much more...how much beauty there is to see, hear, taste, smell and feel...I feel certain that Heavenly Father and the Savior are very careful Creators. Alma 30:44 says, "The scriptures are laid before thee, yea, and all things denote there is a God; yea, even the earth, and all things that are upon the face of it, yea, and its motion, yea, and also all the planets which move in their regular form do witness that there is a Supreme Creator."  But none more so than the diversity I see in my fellow brothers and sisters.   I think He created us different on purpose...so we can learn and grow from one another.  So we can learn to look beyond surface differences and overcome differences of opinion or background and learn to love others.   Learning to live and love despite differences makes me a better person.  And just as having a diversity of plants and animals makes this world a better, more beautiful, more enriching experience, being surrounded  by a diversity of people makes this world a better, more beautiful, more joyful experience.

Today's gift was a bookmark with a small note and a couple of candies:

The front of the bookmark says, "You are Beloved!"   
The back says:
Definition of beloved: dearly loved: dear to the heart 
 Synonyms for beloved:  cherisheddear, favoredfavoritefond, precious,special The word beloved in scripture comes from the Greek agapetos...it can be a title for the Savior.  It means loved by God and Christ and one another.  It denotes being divinely loved.  Being very dear, a favorite.  1 John 3:2 “Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.  Deuteronomy 33: 12 “... The beloved of the Lord shall dwell in safety by him; and the Lord shall cover him all the day long, and he shall dwell between his shoulders. 1 John 4: 7-8 “Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and everyone that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.” 

I often begin messages to the young women with "Beloved young women". And the word beloved has been ringing in my head for months. This year, President Nelson has asked us Hear Him (Christ). As I studied the First Vision and the restoration in preparation for General Conference, I was so touched by reading "This is my Beloved Son. Hear Him." I've read and heard those words many times before so I'm not sure why they have echoed in my head and heart for months now. But they have. Because when I hear the word Beloved...I immediately think of my Savior...but I also remember that the Father would also refer to me as His beloved daughter as well. And reading the definition and synonyms for beloved remind me how He feels about me. And about YOU!

I encouraged them to listen to the song O My Father today. It's one of my favorites, especially these words:
  1. In the heav’ns are parents single?
    No, the thought makes reason stare!
    Truth is reason; truth eternal
    Tells me I’ve a mother there.
  2.  When I leave this frail existence
  3. When I lay this mortal by,
  4. Father, Mother, may I meet you
    In your royal courts on high?
    Then, at length, when I’ve completed
    All you sent me forth to do,
    With your mutual approbation
    Let me come and dwell with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment