Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Unity Friendship Fun

 The pandemic has made things challenging for unity within our ward.  People have different opinions and they have reacted in a wide range of ways to the pandemic, to church closures, to wearing masks, etc.  It's getting closer to normal--we go back to second hour church meetings in person in 2 1/2 weeks.  But I feel like the level of unity and friendship in our YW group has suffered.  So I have thought and prayed about what to do.  And I've tried to do a variety of things.  Communicate regularly.  Drop off little treats and quotes.  A couple of times I have written letters or sent postcards.  Keep inviting, inviting, inviting.  For months, I have been doing "Waffle Wednesday" where I make waffles for my girls after school on Wednesdays and they sometimes invite friends--and a couple of times I have invited all of the YW to Waffle Wednesday (though the result from that has been mixed.)  And now I am trying to take small groups of YW out to ice cream to get a chance for them to interact outside of church/church activities and hopefully strengthen friendships.  I've only been able to take one group so far...but it was SUCH a fun evening.  It was a bit chilly.  But after eating their ice cream, Sofie, Gabby, Claire and Brielle played on the playground and they laughed and talked and seemed to have a great time.  I really enjoyed watching them interact as well as interacting with them myself.  I want to do it again soon with some different YW.








One other thing that I think went well.  We had a cupcake decorating activity yesterday.  One of our YW is gluten free, and she hasn't been attending much recently.  So I reached out to her and her mom that morning and let them know that I had gluten free cupcakes for her for the activity that night.  I got a response from her mom almost immediately, thanking me for making sure to include her daughter.  And that young woman and her sister came to the activity!  And I think they had fun.    I may be mistaken, but I doubt they would have come if I hadn't reached out to let them know that I had made gluten free cupcakes for her.  

No comments:

Post a Comment