Sunday, May 16, 2021

Resume Church Gratitude

 Elder Ashton once spoke of less conspicuous gifts in October 1987 conference.  He said:

From the Book of Mormon, particularly 3 Nephi, chapters 11 through 26 [3 Ne. 11–26], when the Savior Jesus Christ showed himself to the people on the American continent, many gifts are referred to as being very real and most useful. Taken at random, let me mention a few gifts that are not always evident or noteworthy but that are very important. Among these may be your gifts—gifts not so evident but nevertheless real and valuable.

Let us review some of these less-conspicuous gifts: the gift of asking; the gift of listening; the gift of hearing and using a still, small voice; the gift of being able to weep; the gift of avoiding contention; the gift of being agreeable; the gift of avoiding vain repetition; the gift of seeking that which is righteous; the gift of not passing judgment; the gift of looking to God for guidance; the gift of being a disciple; the gift of caring for others; the gift of being able to ponder; the gift of offering prayer; the gift of bearing a mighty testimony; and the gift of receiving the Holy Ghost.

We must remember that to every man is given a gift by the Spirit of God. It is our right and responsibility to accept our gifts and to share them. God’s gifts and powers are available to all of us.


I have the gift of being able to weep.  It has always been a gift I've had, but it seems like it has become even more prominent lately.   And today, my tears flowed pretty freely.  It was our first week back for 2 hours of church in over a year.  The first Sunday in months that I didn't open a zoom meeting for Sunday School or Relief Society or Young Women's.  (We're still having zoom meetings for our classes for those unable to attend in person, but I didn't have to run it today since it was Sunday School.)  Our beloved President Carlson (our former Bishop and now a member of our stake presidency gave the most beautiful talk about the sacrament.  His wife Julie talked about "sparking joy" and how we can find joy in simple things even during hard times.  It was such a beautiful meeting.  Seriously so wonderful. And our discussion in Sunday School was great too.  But mostly it made me feel so happy to look around and see so many of my beloved ward members there today.  I have missed that.  I have missed them.  Still many of my ward members weren't there.  I hope they will be soon!

But oh how grateful I am for the blessing of being able to gather.  For the opportunity to join with other believers to worship Christ.  For the opportunity to watch young men bless and pass the sacrament--and to have enough young men to bless and pass the sacrament!  

I am so grateful for this gospel.  It means everything to me.  I hope to never have to close churches again.


In related but not the same news, the CDC released new guidelines about mask wearing:

“Anyone who is fully vaccinated can participate in indoor and outdoor activities, large or small, without wearing a mask or physical distancing,” Walensky said. “If you are fully vaccinated, you can start doing the things that you had stopped doing because of the pandemic. We have all longed for this moment, when we can get back to some sense of normalcy.”

Walensky said unvaccinated people should still continue to wear masks, adding they remain at risk of mild or severe illness, death, and risk of spreading the disease to others. People with compromised immune systems should speak with their doctor before giving up their masks, she said.

Those who aren't vaccinated are still supposed to wear masks but I don't know how they will enforce that, and I hope they won't.  Not because I don't think you shouldn't wear a mask if you're unvaccinated but because I don't want anything that will create more division.  And for the meantime, I still plan to wear mine in public most of the time until the pandemic is closer to ending.  Alfredo and I are fully vaccinated, and Michelle and Ella have received their first dose.  And the FDA just approved it for children from age 12 and up, so Gabby will likely receive it soon.  I am grateful that it is nearing an end here in the US, but my heart aches for countries (such as India) that are still suffering mightily from this pandemic.  


No comments:

Post a Comment