Sunday, September 5, 2021

Alligator Help Shovel

 This week we read D&C 94-97 in Come Follow Me. The Lord chastens the people for not following his counsel to build a temple.  It's had me thinking about how quick I am to follow counsel and whether I treasure the temple as I ought to.

In Don't Miss This, Dave and Emily's theme this week was "How can I help?" and I've been thinking about it all week.

They shared a story that happened recently here in Utah.  Alfredo had shared the video of this event with me.

There's a group here called Scales and Tails.  They have reptiles and they bring them to schools for presentations and do parties and events where they show these amazing animals and teach kids about them.  At a birthday party, one of the handlers was showing an alligator.  The alligator was in a tank and the handler was feeding "Darth Gator".  Darth Gator began to climb up, out of the tank area and she pushed him back.  Then he grabbed her hand.  She said she knew she either had to let him rip off her hand or climb in with him and hope to be able to get him under control.  A guest at the party jumped in the tank as well and climbed on top of the gator.  Then he asked what to do next.  He wasn't trained to work with gators, but he saw a need and without stopping to think, he immediately went to her aid.  After the gator released her hand, she got out and then coached the man on how to safely get out of the tank.  What a hero and an example of courage!

As we read D&C 94-97, I was touched that shortly after Joseph received this revelation chastising them for not building the temple, Hyrum grabbed his shovel or tools and began.  


LESSONS LEARNED:

When help is needed, I want to be one who is quick to jump in and help!

Courage is needed.

Even if I don't know everything to do, I can do something.  I can start and then more direction or knowledge will come.


No comments:

Post a Comment