Monday, March 14, 2011

Temporary Home (perspective,part 2)

I have a song on my playlist that I love. It is sung by Carrie Underwood and the first time that I heard it on the radio, it brought tears to my eyes. Partly because my heart is always touched/broken by stories of children suffering but also because I think it has such an important message.

Temporary Home Lyrics

Little boy, 6 years old
A little too used to bein' alone.
Another new mom and dad,another school,
Another house that'll never be home.
When people ask him how he likes this place...
He looks up and says, with a smile upon his face,

"This is my temporary home
It's not where I belong.
Windows and rooms that I'm passin' through.
This is just a stop, on the way to where I'm going.
I'm not afraid because I know this is my
Temporary Home."

Young mom on her own.
She needs a little help, got nowhere to go.
She's lookin' for a job, lookin' for a way out,
Because a half-way house will never be a home.
At night she whispers to her baby girl,
"Someday we'll find our place here in this world."

"This is our temporary home.
It's not where we belong.
Windows and rooms that we're passin' through.
This is just a stop, on the way to where we're going.
I'm not afraid because I know this is our
Temporary Home."

Old man, hospital bed,
The room is filled with people he loves.
And he whispers don't cry for me,
I'll see you all someday.
He looks up and says, "I can see God's face."

"This is my temporary Home
It's not where I belong.
Windows and rooms that I'm passin' through.
This was just a stop,on the way to where I'm going.
I'm not afraid because I know... this was
My temporary home."

I've been meaning to write about it for a couple of months and never got around to it, but it seemed to fit perfectly with my previous post about perspective. If we can just remember that this is just our temporary home, not where we belong, and that we are headed somewhere so much better, to be with those who love us most (family, friends and most especially our Savior and Father), it will change our perspective and help us cope with the challenges that come. It will help ME to focus on what's really important and help me to make better choices. I want to always remember that this is just a temporary home. I want to do my best to make this a great home, filled with love and peace, so that those I love will want to be with me in the future. I want to do all I can to alleviate suffering and comfort those in need of comfort. I want to help guide others so that they, too, can leave this temporary home behind when life ends and return to our permanent home. That is the perspective I want to maintain on bad days. I'm far from being where I want to be... but I home I'm on the road there.

No comments:

Post a Comment