Sunday, October 11, 2015

General Conference Reflections

A week after conference...what stands out

Last weekend was LDS General Conference...it was a beautiful weekend filled with messages of hope, inspiration, comfort, encouragement and needed reminders.  

It has now been a week and I want to jot down what has stayed with me or stood out to me. I plan to reread each talk (in fact, I am taking part in a 40 day Conference Challenge in a group on Facebook) and study them and teach the principles to my children.  So what I ultimately gain from this Conference should be much more than just these thoughts (plus I took pages of notes in my journal).  But these are the things that keep ringing through my head and seemed of especial importance to ME.

These are in no particular order and I am not even going to reference the talks right now.

Ponderize...80% pondering, 20% memorization...This week I have been ponderizing 1 Timothy 4:12 with my family.  I have it memorized now...but also plan to jot down some of what President Monson counseled us to do in regards to being an example.  I am going to create a notebook with our ponderize scriptures and any insights, quotes from conference talks, etc.  I will keep this in our Sunday bag for the girls to look at during church.

*President Monson's talk about being a light and an example to others stood out. He truly has lived what he teaches, reaching out to rescue and love and be an example to so many over the course of his lifetime.  His body may be weakening, but his spirit, faith and testimony, and his love are still strong.

*Elder Bednar's beautiful tribute to the members of the 12 we have lost and some of their last words.   As you can't do as much, you begin to do what really matters.

*Ask,"What lack I yet?" and listen for an indivualized response.

*Have eyes to see, ears to hear and hearts to understand.

*Making the Sabbath a delight and multiple talks on using the power of the sacrament to fortify, enable, cleanse, strengthen, and more.

*The importance of Mothers.  And Elder Holland's wonderful quote: "To all mothers, in every circumstance, including those who struggle, I say, 'Be peaceful.  Believe in God and yourself. You are doing better than you think you are.'"

*Center our lives exactly on Christ.  (I don't know if this will be possible, but I would love to take my kids to a pottery class or even just watch one so they can see a potter's wheel and how important it is to have the clay centered on the wheel and then teach this lesson.)

*See others through a parent's eyes.

*"We don't need to become MORE of anything to start to become the person God intended us to become."  --President Uchtdorf

*I honesty don't remember exactly what Sister Neill Marriott said, but I really felt the spirit and loved her talk.  I found it wonderfully encouraging and wonderfully inspiring.  I look forward  to rereading and studying it.

I know if I looked at my notes, I would have a lot more to say.  And I know that six weeks from now, I will know more and hopefully be better.   But these are the things that stood out to me so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment