Saturday, March 23, 2019

Joy

"Joy is powerful and focusing on joy brings God's power into our lives." --Russell M. Nelson
I have been collecting my own "secrets" to choosing/finding joy. Here are a few:
1. Live the Gospel of Jesus Christ and focus on building my relationship with Him.
2. Express gratitude! Notice the Lord's Tender Mercies, the evidence of His hand in my life, as well as all of the kindnesses that others extend to me and give thanks.  Also notice the incredible beauty around me.  This world is magnificent. The Book of Mormon says that all things denote there is a God.  I'd add that all things not only denote there is a God, but a personal, loving God that cares for each of us.
3. Spend time in holy places and in holy habits.
4. Serve others. Be kind, send loving notes and texts. "Fangirl" those I love (in the words of Jen Hatmaker).
5. Make time to read!
6. Go on regular date nights! Make my marriage a priority.
7. Spend time with those I love...family, friends, the Young Women!
8. Don't watch tv. (This was a surprising source of joy but cutting out tv has been a very positive thing for me.)
9. Spend time in nature.
10. Forgive.
11. Change my thinking patterns. In nearly every situation, we can find something to be happy about or something to be upset about...I am working hard to change my thought patterns when I begin to get stuck in the frustrated/upset ways of thinking.
Do I choose joy every minute of every day? No! But I am conscientiously trying to spend much more time choosing joy.

My dear friends, Jackie, Sara and I spent two months studying the book of Philippians with a group called Multiply Goodness.  The book of Philippians is only 4 chapters long, but I loved taking just a few verses a day and really pondering them and really pondering how to find joy even when things are challenging.  I'm not perfect at it, but I have seen improvement.  A week and a half ago, there was a really bad snow storm.  It took me about an hour and a half to get to work...which is frustrating any way.  But I had a parent teacher conference that morning that I ended up missing because the roads were so bad and my commute took so long.  I was feeling super frustrated.  And then I thought about this study and what I was learning about joy...and about the talk I had just given in stake conference about finding joy through living the gospel...even when things are hard or frustrating.  And so I began to pray a prayer of gratitude.  I tried to think of everything I had to be thankful for in that moment...and the list was long.  And it changed my attitude.  I got back to a place where I could think, "I have all, and abound.  I am full" (Philippians 4:18).  I hope that as additional challenges come...perhaps really large ones...that I can remember what I have learned and strive to find joy.  I know that joy comes in and through Christ.  He is the source of joy.  And it touches me deeply that focusing on joy helped Him endure all the suffering and agony of Gethsemane and the cross.  

Also, Jackie gave me this lovely shirt.  I love it so much!  It's a reminder of all that I've learned, a reminder to choose joy...to chase joy...and a reminder that I have dear friends who love me. I'm so grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment