Saturday, March 9, 2019

The Joy of Living the Gospel

I had the privilege and blessing of speaking in the adult session of stake conference tonight. I was nervous but also excited because I LOVE the topic I was assigned which is the joy of living the gospel.  I was able to speak for 15 minutes and I could have talked for closer to 45 so I couldn't include everything I would have like to have included, but here are my remarks with a few things that I didn't include in my talk due to time but that I would have liked to include:
*******************************************************************************

The Joy of Living the Gospel
I was asked to speak about a subject that President Nelson said is, “key to our spiritual survival.” When i think of what is necessary for our spiritual survival in these last days, I think of making and keeping covenants in the temple or of learning to recognize, receive and act on promptings or repentance...and these principles are essential.  But none of those are my topic for today...my topic is joy.
President Nelson gave a BEAUTIFUL talk entitled Joy and Spiritual Survival  in which he said, “Lehi knew opposition, anxiety, heartache, pain, disappointment, and sorrow. Yet he declared boldly and without reservation a principle as revealed by the Lord: “Men are, that they might have joy.”6 Imagine! Of all the words he could have used to describe the nature and purpose of our lives here in mortality, he chose the word joy!..
I'm so happy to get to talk about how living the gospel brings me joy because number one it really does!   And number two, I've actually spent the past 6 weeks studying joy in depth.  So I could probably talk for an hour or more about what I've learned and how the gospel brings me joy...though I won't. 
About a year ago, a dear friend of mine passed away unexpectedly.  I was also in the midst of a period of pretty intense tutoring by the Lord.  As we’ve been counseled to do, I’d been seeking to know “what lack I yet” and lovingly the Lord showed me…He showed me that I was lacking in an area that I had actually felt was a strength for me and I spent a couple of months really experiencing what Sister Michelle Craig referred to in this past conference as “divine discontent”…I was really searching and seeking to know how to overcome these weaknesses that I’d suddenly recognized I had.  I spent a great deal of time thinking, praying, grieving, and feeling sadness.  It was during this period that I first read President Nelson’s talk and was so struck by his words about joy…because I wasn’t feeling as much joy as I usually do. 

 President Nelson said, “Saints can be happy under every circumstance. We can feel joy even while having a bad day, a bad week, or even a bad year!
My dear brothers and sisters, the joy we feel has little to do with the circumstances of our lives and everything to do with the focus of our lives.
When the focus of our lives is on God’s plan of salvation…and Jesus Christ and His gospel, we can feel joy regardless of what is happening—or not happening—in our lives. Joy comes from and because of Him. He is the source of all joy.”

What?  How was I supposed to feel joy in the midst of deep sadness? How can we feel joy in any and every circumstance?   I don’t know if the following quote from President Nelson will mean to you what it meant to me, but it felt a bit life changing at that time.  I don’t know if I can even articulate my thoughts about these words:
President Nelson said, “Joy is powerful, and focusing on joy brings God’s power into our lives. As in all things, Jesus Christ is our ultimate exemplar, “who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross.”17 Think of that! In order for Him to endure the most excruciating experience ever endured on earth, our Savior focused on joy!
And what was the joy that was set before Him? Surely it included the joy of cleansing, healing, and strengthening us; the joy of paying for the sins of all who would repent; the joy of making it possible for you and me to return home—clean and worthy—to live with our Heavenly Parents and families.
If we focus on the joy that will come to us, or to those we love, what can we endure that presently seems overwhelming, painful, scary, unfair, or simply impossible?”
This was quite an a-ha moment for me.  I knew that my trials and challenges would help me to be prepared for the wonderful blessings that lie ahead.  That wasn’t new…but I had never realized that in order to endure the Atonement, to endure His tremendous suffering in our behalf, in MY behalf, the Savior focused on joy…and especially on the joy of healing and blessing you and me so that we could return home.  If he could focus on joy during such an incredibly trying time, then I could learn to find joy in the midst of challenges! 
So I would like to talk about a four ways that I have found to bring greater joy into my life.  But first I want to point out that the reason these things bring joy is because they draw us closer to our Savior, Jesus Christ.  He really is the true source of joy!

I currently serve the young women of my ward.  That brings me a great deal of joy!   I asked them to share with me some of the things that bring them joy...here's some of the things they shared:  sweet treats like ice cream and cookies, time outdoors, card and board games with family, hammocks, friends, family, music, dancing, food, reading the New Era, the gospel, sports, dogs, ice skating, loved ones, learning, stories, family vacations, seminary, Family Halloween costumes, softball, candy, temple attendance, kittens, family activities, reading the scriptures, being around uplifting and positive people, being in the garden, nice home, fun teachers, sleep, Disneyland, road trips, autumn, Christmas, camping, adventures, books, tumbling, beach, days off, talking with Father in Heaven, hiking, cozy nights in my pajamas watching Netflix, good drinks from Fiiz, sun, hot water, my bed.  Listening to that list, hopefully you heard something (or many things!) that make you feel happy.  I think one of the greatest ways that we can feel joy is by noticing all of the gifts that our Father in Heaven has given us.  Just thinking about these things on this list, makes me feel happy.  Even better than noticing these gifts is expressing thanks to our Father in Heaven for them.   Gratitude is powerful.  There is a strong correlation between gratitude and joy...even social scientists are studying and writing about the power of gratitude.  I think I'm a relatively joyful person...some of that is a spiritual gift I've been given, I think.  But I truly believe that a big part of my ability to feel joy regularly is that I conscientiously try to notice and express gratitude for my blessings.  I try to notice the tender mercies and evidences of God's love that I experience and write them down.  I am a pretty good journaler...I don't write about everything I do or everything that happens to me, but I try to record my spiritual experiences, lessons I learn and blessings I receive.   Quote I cut out:  President Eyring systematically recorded his daily blessings. He said, would ponder this question: “Have seen the hand of God reaching out to touch us or our children or our family today?” As kept at it, something began to happen. As would cast my mind over the day, would see evidence of what God had done for one of us that had not recognized in the busy moments of the day. As that happened, and it happened often, realized that trying to remember had allowed God to show me what He had done.
More than gratitude began to grow in my heart. Testimony grew. became ever more certain that our Heavenly Father hears and answers prayers. felt more gratitude for the softening and refining that come because of the Atonement of the Savior Jesus Christ. And grew more confident that the Holy Ghost can bring all things to our remembrance—even things we did not notice or pay attention to when they happened…My point is to urge you to find ways to recognize and remember God’s kindness. It will build our testimonies. You may not keep journal. You may not share whatever record you keep with those you love and serve. But you and they will be blessed as you remember what the Lord has done. You remember that song we sometimes sing: “Count your many blessings; name them one by one, And it will surprise you what the Lord has done.”
ALSO cut out:  Sometimes what the Lord has done for us ARE the trials, problems and challenges He gives us.  As I mentioned, about a year ago I spent a period in intense tutoring by the Lord.  I learned so many valuable lessons.  It wasn’t an easy period…I often felt discouraged by how slow my progress was and by how far I was from where I had thought I was…but in the intervening months, I have had opportunities to use what I learned during that period to minister to several others.   Two LDS speakers I admire recently took the Beatitudes and put it into more modern language to help us recognize that…just as Christ taught…often our blessings are not what we expect when we think of blessings.  I love their words, just as I love Christ’s words in the Beatitudes:
A CONSTITUTION OF HAPPINESS (by Emily Freeman and David Butler):
When you feel you are lacking you are blessed because you will find your abundance in Him.
When your heart is broken you are blessed because He will come to mend you.
When you become content where you are you are blessed because you will learn to see God in everything.
When you are empty and unsatisfied you are blessed because He will come to fill you.
When you offer your heart to someone in need you are blessed because your heart will become like His.
When you seek for the good you are blessed because that is where you will find God.
When your relationships need reconciliation you are blessed because your Father is the giver of peace.
When you feel like you don’t belong you are blessed because He has already welcomed you in. 


Second...There's power in loving others and in building unity.  I've been discussing this with a dear friend the past couple of weeks.  In Philippians chapter 2 verse 2 we read, "fulfil ye my joy that ye be like minded, having the same love, being of one Accord, of one mind."but often we fall short of this ideal.  It's easy to talk to those we have things in common with or to feel unity with those we find easy to love.  But we all share a divine identity as sons and daughters of God.  We are literally brothers and sisters.  And as members of the Church, we have so much in common...a shared belief in a loving Father in Heaven, in our Savior, a desire to repent and improve, a love for our prophet, a desire to keep the commandments...we should be able to love one another and show concern and unity.  And when we do, we feel joy.  Disunity and contention and exclusion drive away the spirit and remove joy.  But loving and building unity in our homes, our wards, our neighborhoods and our communities brings joy.

Third, serving our fellow man brings peace and joy.  I actually really love to find ways to serve others because it does bring me so much joy.  About a month ago, I had this feeling when I was driving home that I should stop and buy a CD by Calee Reed for a friend.  I stopped and bought the CD but had a busy evening and didn't drop it off.  The next day, I kept feeling like I needed to take it over and so finally I made the time to go to her house.  As I was heading there, I kept thinking, "This is really weird. Why am I doing this?" But I went to her house and knocked and she came to the door...I gave her the CD and a note and talked to her for a few minutes.  It turned out that she'd had a hard day and had some unexpected things happen.  As I headed back home, I said a prayer of gratitude...because this was one more evidence that first, my Heavenly Father was aware of my friend and what she was experiencing even though I hadn't been...and second, that He knew me and knew He could trust me to act...despite me feeling it was silly.  I've had enough experiences like this that I am learning to act even when it seems silly and to trust that even if I don't know why I have the prompting, Heavenly Father does.  I'm not perfect at acting on promptings and I don't always learn why I receive the promptings I do, but finding ways to cheer and bless and serve others brings me joy.  
FANGIRL from “Of Mess and Moxie by Jen Hatmaker:  Fangirl the flesh and blood people around you, the ones you live by, live with, live for. Go gaga over your own people; that is well-placed loyalty. Overvalue them, over-love them, overencourage them." Then she explains that a friend of hers created a text rule...whenever she thinks anything kind or loving about someone else or notices their talents or their best qualities, she sends them a text. She "sends the love before the thought leaves her mind". I love this idea!! And I really love this part: "Fangirl the people who never get fangirled. You know the ones: the underdog, the quiet hero, the little guy. They are shy or behind the scenes or difficult or loners. It's boring when the same old obvious people get all the enthusiasm; the spotlight naturally gravitates toward certain folks in our culture...But the earth is jam-packed with amazing, extraordinary people who...deserve applause." 

I try to follow this: to send positive thoughts and texts whenever I have a kind thought of someone else, to be a fangirl or cheerleader for those around me.  I try to follow the council that Sister Michelle Craig shared in conference, quoting Sister Camilla Kimball, “Never suppress a generous thought.”  I know that as I do, I bring joy to others and I feel deeper joy myself.

A couple of months ago, a friend and I took our teenagers to the Draper Temple to do baptisms.  As we were driving there, it was a really foggy, murky day.  A few blocks from the temple, I wondered if I’d made a wrong turn because I could not see it at all…and I should have been able to.  When we arrived, you could barely see the statue of angel Moroni through those mists.  When we left the temple, a couple of hours later, the temple was illuminated and could be seen from a distance.  We took photos when we arrived and a couple of photos as we left, and as I looked at the difference between the before and after photos, I realized this was a beautiful analogy for life.  As we spend time in the world, our lives can begin to become murky, the mists of darkness swirl around us and it becomes harder to see the light or to experience joy.  But as we spend time in holy places, creating righteous routines and holy habits, light and joy flood our lives.  Perspective returns and we can see more clearly what really matters and we can feel the joy that comes from the Savior.  I find that as I spend more time in the temple, especially, but also more time in the scriptures, more time in prayer, more time “out of the world”, my joy increases exponentially. 
Paul, who was no stranger to trial and tribulation wrote to the saints in Philippi while he was imprisoned. If you want to learn more about joy and see how to find joy in the midst of tribulation, I encourage you to study the book of Philippians.   He writes of his joy as he thinks of these, his fellow saints and as he prays for them.  He says, “the things which happened unto me have fallen out rather unto the furtherance of the gospel” and that he rejoices in preaching of Christ.  Paul, in the close of Philippians, chapter 4 verse 4 says, “Rejoice in the Lord always; and again I say, rejoice.”  Then in verse 18, he says, “But I have all, and abound:  I am full.”  That is how I feel.  Regardless of what comes…I have all and abound, I am full…because I have the fullness of the gospel and an understanding of what awaits me if I am faithful.  I know that many challenges lie ahead for me, for each of us…but I hope that we can face these challenges with the knowledge that “God is for us” and that “all these things shall give us experience and shall be for our good” and find joy in Christ.  As President Nelson said, “he is the source of all joy.”

Expressing gratitude, building unity, serving others, and spending time in holy places and in righteous routines brings joy!  I know this is true because I have experienced it.
********************************************************************
Also I didn't end up including anything from these two talks, but I love both of them:

No comments:

Post a Comment