Thursday, December 20, 2018

Light The World

I love to participate in the annual #LighttheWorld campaign.  We try to find small ways to serve each day in December...and fairly often throughout the year.  But it feels a bit boastful to post about our efforts on social media.  However, I decided that today I would go to the temple after work.  It's so great working so close to the Salt Lake Temple.  Since conference when President Nelson challenged us to be in the temple more often, I've been trying to go each week.  Sometimes I go during the week, right after work.  Sometimes I go on Saturdays.  But I'm trying to be there as often as I can.

Anyway, I decided that since I was going to be at Temple Square, I should participate in the Light the World vending machines.  So I headed to the Joseph Smith Memorial Building and joined the line of people all waiting to purchase items for charity.  I was impressed by how many people were there and I was humbled when I saw the prices how much could be done for relatively small amounts of money.  For $19 100 children can receive the polio vaccine.  For $25, you can buy 100 meals.  For $21, you can purchase two chickens.  And so on.  The wait was between 35-40 minutes, but I think it was worth it as I felt so genuinely happy after my "purchase."  And it was heartwarming to see how many people were donating.  There was a couple of people just ahead of me in line that were from St. George and they were buying numerous items because many of their ward members had contributed.  I really loved the experience.







After that, I headed to the temple.  As I was finishing in the temple, I saw Carolyn Flandro in the dressing room.  She serves there on Thursday evenings, apparently.  We worked together at Parkview for 11 years and I miss seeing her and my other coworkers.  We gave each other a big hug and she said that she really loves and appreciates my inspiring posts on Facebook.  It made my day to see her!  

It was such a beautiful day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment