Sunday, January 16, 2011

Recipes we love

From time to time, I add a recipe or two that we love. Here are a few of our favorites. I, unfortunately, can't take real credit for any of them...I'm quite good at following a recipe but haven't invented any recipes of my own. (Michelle wants me to add yet...although I really have little confidence that I will ever truly invent a recipe of my own...I ocassionally make small tweaks to existing recipes but nothing too original).


One of our very favorites... St. Paul’s Rice (by Carol Stone)..My friend Rachel sent this to me..from one of her friends

1 1/2 lb. sausage (any mild, ground sausage)

Crumble, fry, and drain.

2 pkg. Lipton noodle soup (I usually only put one)
4 1/2 c. water
3/4 c. rice

Place the soup mix, water, and rice in a saucepan and boil for 7 minutes.

5 ribs celery
1 green pepper
1 onion
1/4 t. garlic powder
pepper
1 pkg. slivered almonds (I usually forget these...great with or without)

Chop the celery, green pepper, and onion and mix together in a large bowl. Add the sausage and the rice mixture and mix well. Put into a greased 13 x 9 pan and bake for 1 hour at 350˚, uncovered. The last 15 minutes sprinkle with the almonds. Serves about 8.

Another recipe from Rachel's friend's cookbook:
Tender Baked Parmesan Chicken (Sylvia Ruggieri)

1/2 c. Hellmann’s mayonnaise
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/3 c. shredded Parmesan cheese
2 T. Italian dressing
1/2 c. Italian seasoned bread crumbs
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 1/2 lb.)

Combine mayonnaise, cheese, garlic powder, and Italian dressing. Spread chicken with mayonnaise mixture, then coat with crumbs. Arrange chicken on baking sheet. Bake at 425˚ for 20 minutes or until lightly browned and tender.

DO NOT substitute miracle whip for mayo - there is a taste difference. The chicken pairs well with the rice above.


Woodland Park Italian Beef
from Don't Panic...Dinner's in the Freezer cookbook

2-3 lb. beef roast (pot, chuck or rump roast)
2 large onions sliced
1-2 green peppers sliced or diced
16 oz. jar of Pepperncini peppers with juice, sliced (the recipe calls for 2 jars, but I think 1 jar is plenty)
1/2 -1 cup water
1 tsp. ground pepper,sprinkled on roast

French rolls, sliced
provolone cheese slices

Cut roast into chunks (about 4 x4) Put roast into large roasting pan with green onion and green pepper. Sprinkle with pepper. Pour jar of pepperoncini peppers and wanter over meat. Bake at 275 for 5 hours. When meat is done and tender, shred with 2 foks. Turn oven to 200 and return beef to pan and stir in the juices and let sitin oven for 1 hour. Then serve on rolls with a slice of cheese. Add pepperoncini peppers and juice to give it extra flavor...for my kids I serve the meat and cheese without the added peppers. The meat has a yummy flavor.

(I also often will throw this in the crockpot instead of the oven and just cook it about 7-8 hours on low...probably 4-5 or so on high.)

No comments:

Post a Comment