Saturday, September 10, 2011

Bountiful Baskets

So I've been participating in the Bountiful Baskets coop with my friend Carin for a month now. My friend Stacie has been doing it for a year or more and loves it. I have been loving it! We get a ton of fruits and vegetables each week for just $15. I think it's definitely saving me a lot on groceries and we're eating some great fruit. I was a little worried that we'd get foods that we wouldn't eat, but so far the only unusual thing we've had was figs. I thought I hated figs, but I just tried one a few minutes ago and it was pretty good. I can't use up the lettuce quite as fast as I get it..and usually I have a few pieces of fruit left on Saturday morning when I go pick up the new basket.

Today we got 5 yams, 1 head of lettuce, 1 bunch of spinach, a head of cauliflower, 5 peaches, lots of bananas, a bag of grapes, a carton of about 6 or 7 figs, a bunch of pears and a bunch of plums.

I also bought the 9 grain bread a few weeks ago and it is delicious!

It really turns out to be almost the perfect amount of fruits and veggies...although most weeks I do buy a few extras at the store...to add to salads or for specific meals...this week I'm not planning to go to the store at all, except perhaps for a gallon of milk.

Here's photos of the first week's basket:


No comments:

Post a Comment