Sunday, January 28, 2018

Personal Revelation

Michelle was asked to speak in sacrament meeting today.  She wrote her talk herself, although I did read it and give a couple of small suggestions.  She did a great job speaking today.  But the part I love the most about this is that a couple of days ago, I was telling Michelle about an idea/thought that had come to me several times.  As I said that, she said, "Mom, you know that is personal revelation, right?"  And I did.  But I was so pleased that she did as well!
**********
 
I was asked to give a talk on personal revelation. To me, personal revelation is somewhat like an eye-opener that is given to you that will help you surpass the hard trials in life or help you maintain joy throughout your life.
 
To start off, In the April 2017 conference, Ronald A. Rasband gave a talk called “Let the holy spirit guide” There is a specific part of his talk I would like to share...He says, “By divine Assignment the holy ghost inspires, testifies, teaches, and prompts us to walk in the light of the lord.”
 
In his talk, we learn that the Holy Ghost is who gives us personal revelation.. And Elder Rasband gives four ways to keep the Holy Ghost surrounding you. He says,
“1. Strive to live worthy of the spirit. Meaning: Be kind, use appropriate language, pray as often as you can, and attend church.
2nd, be willing to receive the spirit. Don’t say a prayer then get busy doing something else..sit, wait, and listen.
3rd: recognize the spirit when it comes..the spirit often uses a still small voice or a feeling to tell you what you need to do. Elder Rasband also said, “The spirit most often communicates as a feeling.”
Finally, act on the first prompting. Sometimes I’ll see someone in the hallway that looks lonely, usually I get a voice prompting me to go say hi or to invite them to sit with me. I can recall an experience where my friend and I acted upon that thought and now whenever we see that person in the hallway. We will say hello.
 
Sheri Dew once said, “Personal revelation is a powerful, persuasive antidote to uncertainty and confusion.” These wise words tell us that when we are uncertain and confused we need to rely on the Lord to help us out and it will be like an antidote for an illness.
 
I was told a story about a loving and devoted mother who was told that her family needed to be vegetarian, she didn’t know why but she followed that prompting. Later, her husband became ill... but was able to survive because he was vegetarian. Now I’m not saying we should all become vegetarian and we will survive great sicknesses.. I’m saying this mother relied on Heavenly Father to know that she was doing the right thing for their family.
 
We can also find other ways of getting personal revelation. President Dieter F. Uchtdorf said, “The scriptures and the words of modern-day apostles and prophets are the source of wisdom, divine knowledge, and personal revelation to help us find answers to all challenges in life.”
The song “Let the Holy Spirit Guide” says,
1. Let the Holy Spirit guide;
Let him teach us what is true.
He will testify of Christ,
Light our minds with heaven’s view.
2. Let the Holy Spirit guard;
Let his whisper govern choice.
He will lead us safely home
If we listen to his voice.
3. Let the Spirit heal our hearts
Thru his quiet, gentle pow’r.
May we purify our lives
To receive him hour by hour
This song helps me understand that when we are going through hard times and we feel like we're drowning we can rely on the savior to help us back up because he will ALWAYS help us back up and onward throughout our lifetime on earth. And he helps us through the Holy Ghost, the Holy Ghost speaks to us, guides us, and comforts us in our time of need.
I know that From, personal revelation we can find help for our questions and challenges no matter how great or small. (Share the rest of your testimony)
IN THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST, AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment