Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Mother's Day

Mother's Day was really beautiful.  The weather was gorgeous, my family was all so thoughtful, my sweet friend Christie brought me a corsage, the meetings at church were especially wonderful...it really was just a great day.  The YW took over primary so all of the women could be in Relief Society.  We were each given a delicious cinnamon roll and our Bishop taught us.  I am so thankful to be a mother and to have been raised by a wonderful mother and been influenced by my grandmothers.  I paid this tribute to my mom and grandmothers on Facebook:

I'm so grateful for so many women who have influenced my life for good. There are so many women who have helped nurture me and have inspired me and strengthened me. I am a better, wiser, kinder, gentler, and more empathetic person due to the influence of so many women (and men). I had wonderful teachers, wonderful young women leaders, the best seminary teacher, the best sisters, beloved aunts and cousins, amazing friends, fun and wise and talented roommates, wonderful neighbors and ward members and coworkers and book club members and on and on...if I tried to list all those that have touched my life, this post would be hundreds of pages long. We were asked today how we would spend our day if we knew it was the last one on Earth. A few things immediately came to mind...time with family and loved ones being at the forefront. But I'd also want to somehow express my love and gratitude for those who have touched me...and I fear a day wouldn't be enough time to do that. I hope that I live in such a way that those I love know how I feel.
Today, on this Mother's Day, I'd like to pay tribute to three women who especially touched my life. My maternal grandmother raised the most patient and kind and loving woman I have ever met (my mom). My maternal grandmother was a talented seamstress and gardener. She was a hard worker and very frugal. She lived in Utah, while I grew up in AZ. But we spent most of our childhood summers at her home, picking raspberries, riding bikes, and making wonderful memories. My paternal grandmother is involved in nearly all of my childhood memories. We grew up about a 5 minute drive from her house, and she cared for my sisters and I after school. I know I have shared before how much time she spent helping others and serving others and the impact that has had on my life. She was a devoted wife and mother. When I was little, she would spend hours drawing us paper dolls and their clothing. She read us stories. I knew she absolutely cherished me.
And then there is my mom. Words are inadequate to express my gratitude for her. But here are a few things I especially appreciate: she is so patient and calm, never raising her voice at us. She is forgiving. She taught us, by word and example, that even when hard things happen, we can trust that God is aware of us and that better days are ahead. She is quietly knowledgeable and intelligent, sharing her wisdom when asked. She dutifully magnifies callings and quietly goes about serving others and blessing lives. When I get a little older and wiser, I hope to become more and more like her...truly one of the greatest compliments I could be paid would be that I am like her or remind others of her. And bringing me extra joy this Mother's Day...in one week, she will be moving to Utah and will be much closer. I love you, Mom!

We went to Alfredo's family for dinner on Mother's Day and they grilled wonderful food.  I had a nice talk with my Mom.

Alfredo gave me beautiful flowers.  The girls all made me gifts.  It was a wonderful day spent with family.








No comments:

Post a Comment