Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Love First

I have the best people in my life.  I'm feeling yucky and stayed home from work today.  I took a nap after I got home from work and still went to bed at 8:30 last night.  My dear friend Sara brought me soup for lunch.  A few seconds after she brought the soup, I got a text from my dear friend Aly saying that she was thinking of me and loves me and that I'm an example to her.  I am so thankful to have such great examples of Christlike disciples all around me.  It reminded me that 1.  I have dear friends who love me.  2.  My Heavenly Father is mindful of me.  I am sure that Aly was prompted by the spirit to send that text.  3.  If I ever truly needed something, I have people who would help and be there for me.  I'm fine.  I will be back at work tomorrow and my life is good.  But it means so much that on just a lousy sick day, people reached out to show love.  I know that if there were ever really a tragedy or great need, I would be enveloped by love.
 This morning I watched a beautiful video on Instagram from Multiply Goodness this morning.  Emily Freeman shared a bracelet that she wears that says HWLF on it.  She explained that a college student wore a WWJD bracelet (What Would Jesus Do?) One day as he was studying for an exam, he was staring at the bracelet and began to really ponder, what would Jesus do?   And he decided that He would love first.  That's what Jesus would do.  So this young man created bracelets to remind himself and others that Jesus would love first...and so should we.

Another dear friend, upon hearing that story, texted me to ask how many young women I have.  She texted later and told me she hoped it was okay but she'd ordered enough bracelets for each of my young women.  She hoped I'd share this story and give them each a bracelet...as a reminder that Jesus loves them so very much, first and foremost, and also that what He spent His life doing and what we should spend our lives doing is loving people first.  I'm going to give the bracelets to the young women at our New Beginnings.  It will go perfectly with our theme for this year, John 14:15:  "If ye love me, keep my commandments."

A couple of other things.  I've been drinking herbal tea to help fight off this illness. Mostly homemade with garlic, ginger, and honey.  Disgusting but it helps.  But this morning I made packaged tea. When I made my tea this morning, I noticed the tea bag had this little message.  "Live righteously and love everyone.   You will build up around you an aura of light and love."  Perfect, huh?!
On Sunday, I was studying for Come Follow Me for Individuals and Families for this week.  I read Luke 4 and was so touched by these verses.
  This is Christ declaring publicly that He is the long awaited Messiah.  Many were angry or disbelieving but I am sure that many hearts thrilled at His declaration.  My heart surely does.  I thrill at His declaration because it occurs to me that each of us will at times be brokenhearted, spiritually blind, poor (in money or in spirit), captive (to sin, pride, anger, jealousy, self doubt, discouragement, selfishness, or grief) and bruised.  But in verse 21 he says, "this day is this scripture fulfilled in me."  And it occurred to me that TODAY He can fulfill those words for each of us.  TODAY He can calm our sorrow, heal our broken hearts, free us from our doubts and our sins, and help us to see more clearly.  If we exercise faith in Him, He can do these things for us today and each day.  Sometimes it takes days, weeks, months or even years for us to see the fulfillment of these promises but they will come!!  I'm so grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment