Saturday, August 22, 2020

Margaret Remaining Quiet

 Another regret.  When I was in elementary school there was a girl named Margaret.  My family was poor---we lived in a trailer park--and I suspect Margaret was at least as poor as we were.  She often came to school in dirty clothes with stringy, unbrushed hair.  She didn't have any friends.  I remember distinctly that we rode the bus home after school and no one wanted to sit with her.  Sometimes some of the kids would tease her.  I didn't participate in the teasing.  But I also didn't sit with her or ask the other kids to leave her alone or stand up for her.  She was bullied and I did nothing.  She must have been so sad and so lonely...at least at school.  I have no idea how her home life was...maybe it was fine or maybe it was terrible.  But I could have done something to make school better for her and I did nothing.  Nothing.


Have you read the book Each Kindness by Jacqueline Woodson?  It reminds me so much of Margaret and myself.  I read it to my 3rd graders every year and tell them about Margaret.  I don't remember her last name and it's been 30 or more years since I saw her last so there's no way for me to find her and apologize.  But I wish I could.  And I've tried to be a little more aware of those who may be lonely or sad or hurt or in need of a friend.  I still have room for improvement, but I'm trying to be a friend to others and I'm trying to defend people when I hear others talking negatively about them.  I'm sorry, Margaret.  I wish I could tell you how sorry I am in person.



Lessons Learned:  Never wait to do a kindness for someday soon it may be too late.

Stand up for others when they are being bullied or mistreated or gossiped about.

Look around you...who might need your kindness or love today?

She was a child of God, a girl with divine nature.  But all I saw was someone with unkempt clothes and stringy hair that was unpopular.  Why didn't I recognize her worth?   

No comments:

Post a Comment