Thursday, January 21, 2021

Jackson Expose Bias

When my children started attending Jackson for the dual immersion program there, in my head I told myself how happy the teachers would be to have my children.  I knew Jackson was in an area with high poverty.  I worked in a neighborhood with high poverty and I know the challenges that many of the children face.  And in my head I assumed that meant that many of the parents would have limited education.  That my children would have a big advantage over many of the students there. 

Now there was some truth in my thoughts.  I had worked at a Title 1 school for several years at that point and many of the families do have limited education.  But as I got to know the parents at Jackson, I discovered that there were quite a few that had as much or more education than I did.  Several were living there because it was in relative proximity to the university and were pursuing advanced degrees.  I held a bias that was neither fully accurate nor at all helpful.  And many of the students were great students.  

What is ironic about this is I grew up quite poor.  I lived in a trailer park until 5th grade, then in an apartment for 5-7th grade and then with my grandparents for 8-9th grade.  I had either free or reduced lunch throughout my childhood.  But my mom had a college degree and my dad had some college.  And I was smart.  I was a great student.  I know better than to assume poverty makes you a poor student.  And yet, I still carried a bit of that bias.  We all have bias and we can't do anything about our biases until we come to recognize them.  


LESSONS LEARNED:  Experience can help us uncover and reform our unconscious biases.

We should not make judgments about people based on their income or the neighborhood in which they reside.


No comments:

Post a Comment