Thursday, January 28, 2021

Romney Grandfather Welcome

 In her book I Like Me, Anyway, Brooke Romney explains that one afternoon her grandfather asked her cousin to help him put up a large Welcome Home sign on the gate to their private community.  Her cousin asked where the man was returning from, expecting the answer to be the military or a mission.  Her grandfather replied, "He is coming home from prison, and I want him to know that we are happy that he is back with us." (64)

Romney writes, "That day, my grandfather stood proudly and caught this man's stones so he could walk back into life knowing that someone was on his side, someone was rooting for him, someone was glad he was home." 

Lessons Learned:  

Am I a stone catcher for those whose lives have gone differently than mine?  Am I a stone catcher for those who have made mistakes or who sin differently than I do?

Matthew 5: 7 "Blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy."

Elder Uchtdorf said in April 2012:  "When it comes to hating, gossiping, ignoring, ridiculing, holding grudges, or wanting to cause harm, please apply the following:

Stop it!

It’s that simple. We simply have to stop judging others and replace judgmental thoughts and feelings with a heart full of love for God and His children. God is our Father. We are His children. We are all brothers and sisters. I don’t know exactly how to articulate this point of not judging others with sufficient eloquence, passion, and persuasion to make it stick. I can quote scripture, I can try to expound doctrine, and I will even quote a bumper sticker I recently saw. It was attached to the back of a car whose driver appeared to be a little rough around the edges, but the words on the sticker taught an insightful lesson. It read, “Don’t judge me because I sin differently than you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment