Saturday, January 30, 2010

Ballet Folklorico

Michelle is part of a Ballet Folklorico at her school that practices weekly and performs Mexican and Central American dances. Their first performance was yesterday for her school. For this performance, the dance group provided costumes. (However each girl will need her own skirt for some performances. Michelle's was just finished this week and it is beautiful!)

Michelle was so excited. She talked about it for weeks and asked repeatedly if we would be able to come. She even decided to write us a note the night before to invite us. Too cute! Here are a few photos from the wonderful performance. Because this is Michelle's first year, she was only in one dance but she did a great job!


These are the beginners, including Michelle and several of her friends (Liliana, her best friend, and Chris, Jasmine,and others).

Besides Michelle's dance there were 4 other dances. Including the hilarious Old Man Dance of which her good friend Riley was a part. If you haven't seen the Old Man Dance, you've got to see it.




This is not a good shot, I realize, but these are the dance teachers (all U of U students) and the others that run the Adelante program, a partnership between the U and Jackson Elementary that encourages kids to go to college, provides field trips and volunteers and all kinds of other cool things.

Michelle had such a great day, although she said after school that so many people told her she did a good job that it made her head feel "a little crazy." :)

3 comments:

  1. She told us about her performance yesterday! That is AWESOME! I would love to come and watch next time. I love folklorico! AND... maybe she can come with us next time we go to watch my friend Sandy perform! She is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let us know when your friend performs. I'm sure she would love that. I will let you know when she has her next performance Shannon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool!! What a neat opportunity for her. I bet she loves those skirts...just seeing them makes me want to make one for my girls just to dance around in, but I don't think I will. Very cool though!!

    ReplyDelete