Monday, February 1, 2010

Happy Momma

Sometimes I am so impressed with my kids. Here are 3 things that made me feel happy this weekend:

Sunday night: Michelle read to me "Se Venden Gorras" the Spanish version of Caps for Sale. (Which according to scholastic, the English version is an end of 2nd grade reading level) She struggled on a few words, but overall was able to readx the book quite well. We read in English every night but I haven't been very good at practicing reading in Spanish. I have definitely noticed a big improvement and increase in her speaking and listening ability, but didn't realize her reading had come so far as well.

Sunday night: We talked to my sister on the webcam for a bit. Ella sang a song for her about the continents. I had no idea she knew the continents (other than North and South America). She has also memorized the pledge at preschool, learned about many symbols of America and when we started reading a book about penguins last Thursday, she told me several things about penguins that I didn't know.

Lately: Often when we pray, Gabrielle folds her arms and bows her head. She knows how to act during a prayer. Also, she can often tell me just before she gets a wet or dirty diaper. She's even gone in the toilet once. Now I have no illusions that she'll be potty trained any time soon, but between sign language and spoken words in English and Spanish, she is getting quite good at communicating. I can't believe she is almost a year and half already!

Sometimes I think my kids are too young to do something or learn something only to have them prove me wrong. They have all grown up so quickly and really are capable of learning and remembering more than I sometimes give them credit for. I am in no hurry to have them grow up; I think sometimes we (as a society) push kids to do things before they are ready. But I guess I also have to realize that sometimes they are ready for more than I realize. I am so impressed at all they have learned and remembered from our Family Home Evenings (which I am happy to report we have been doing nearly every week for 6 months now.) as well as from school and primary.

3 comments:

  1. Way to go--6 months FHE! That's really impressive. I can totally relate to this post--although I also have thoughts like, "no! Slow down! You're growing way to fast!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true... sometimes we underestimate their abilities. The other night, Ty just started counting and counting and didn't stop... I had no idea he could count to almost 100 with very few mistakes! No CLUE! Guess I should pay better attention to those lil things, but htey do just learn so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What accomplishments!
    My friend has a saying on her blog that says "You don't know what you can truly do until you do" or something like that. I think the same goes for children. We sometimes have no idea what they can do until we test them to see or they try to do something new.

    ReplyDelete