Sunday, February 21, 2010

Best Things in Life are Free (Family History Journal)

The topic for Family History Journal a week ago was that it is often said, "The best things in life are free." When I first read the topic, I couldn't think of what I wanted to say. But then a few days ago, I realized I knew exactly what to share. The best thing in life (or one of them) that is free is imagination! And my kids...as well as most other kids...are filled with this great gift. I love how my kids can find new and creative ways to use toys, can find ways to keep themselves entertained without toys, and are always using their imagination as they play and interact. If only I had their imagination and creativity still!

Here are just a few examples of kids' imaginations. These first photos were taken in December, on a day when we had a house full of kids. Suddenly, they had found some ribbons, tied them together to make "leashes" and were leading each other around like dogs. So clever and they had loads of fun.



The hula hoops they received for Christmas are usually used as hula hoops. But from time to time, they are used in other creative ways. A few days ago, they began to chase each other around the table and jump through the hoop as they went. It looked a little like an acrobat, a little like tag and a little like the limbo.



Even balloons can provide tons of entertainment...as hats, as balls, etc. The greatest thing is that even without actual toys that cost money, the kids are usually so good at finding ways to play. Imagination is truly one of the best things in life that is free.

5 comments:

  1. So true Jenny. I love the things kids come up with. I especially like listening to Emma playing with her dolls and hearing the things she comes up with. Imagination is a great thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once a day, if not more, I hear my boys ask if they can play with Ella and Michelle. :) I just love your girls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post & what cute girls!

    One of our favorite children's singers, Jim Gill, dedicated one of his albums to his wife. He thanked her for her commmitment to helping their family "create more than they consume". I've thought that was a pretty cool concept.

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so fun to see what you guys are up to. By the way, thanks so much for the baby gift. It's so cute!!!! After 6 years of boys I'm loving all the pink and flowers and bows.

    ReplyDelete