Sunday, February 7, 2010

Sweet neighbor

I just read a children's book called The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey. Great book. In it one of the main characters, Reynie has decided that there are mostly evil people in the world and he keeps seeing evidence that this is true. His wise friend and leader Mr. Benedict tells him something along the lines that while there are many evil people, there are also many good people and that whatever you expect to see, you will find. I think that is so true. I have seen so many countless examples of goodness and kindness. I know that there is evil in the world and I have seen examples of that too, but I also truly believe that I live in the greatest neighborhood and that there is still much goodness in the world and I see countless examples of that.

My dear sweet neighbor called on Wednesday after reading my blog and said she wanted to bring something to me. She came down a few minutes later with several bags of things... oranges and orange juice for the vitamin C, chicken noodle soup, markers and a book for the girls to color, bubble bath and Sudoku for me to relax and gatorade to stay hydrated. I was not feeling well (had/have an ear infection and probably a sinus infection but am on antibiotics now) and it hadn't been a good week, but I know that there are many others in greater need than me. My illness and Gabrielle's illness were neither life threatening nor that long lasting and in fact, we are both doing much better. I didn't NEED my friend to bring these things to me, but it touched my heart that she did. It is these kind, thoughtful gestures that always warm my heart and help me remember how much good there is in the world and how much I personally have to be grateful. So thank you friend as well as all my other friends and family members that have shown such kindness, past and present.

2 comments:

  1. What a sweetheart your neighbor is!
    Hopefully you guys will be feeling much better soon!

    ReplyDelete