Saturday, April 7, 2012

challenges

After General Conference on Sunday, I watched Mormon Times on KSL. They interviewed a couple named the Zabriskie's. Craig Zabriskie had been injured in a boating accident and had many physical challenges. I loved what he said, "Trials are mandatory. Misery is a choice." That has been echoing through my head ever since. Trials are part of life, but we choose our response.

This week has been spring break. I had a list of things I wanted to get done and a list of places I wanted to take my kids. But Ella woke up Saturday morning feeling sick and was sick until Monday. Tuesday she was feeling better and we went to the Natural History Museum (post to come). Wednesday, Gabby woke up and said she didn't feel well and spent the day throwing up. Michelle didn't feel great on Thursday, and I've got a cold now. My week didn't turn out at all the way I had hoped. But our illnesses were pretty minor. I got lots of time to cuddle with my kids. We had lots of time with just us. I didn't get everything done that I wanted to. We didn't get to do all of the fun things that I'd hoped. But we got lots of rest. We have done a few Easter projects. We've visited with my sister for a couple of days. I've had plenty of time to read and relax and to ponder on what I learned from conference. So I am choosing to focus on the blessings of this spring break rather than the disappointments.

And my sweet husband brought me home flowers today because he knew it had been a rough week and not what I'd been hoping. I am blessed.

***********************
Also, on that same Mormon Times they interviewed a blogger that had lots of great ideas for teaching your children the true meaning of Easter, for making a Christ-centered Easter. I've read quite a bit of her blog now (it's great!) and copied several of her Easter ideas. There are some great ones. We made handprint lilies and did the carnation experiment. We have read several books about Easter. We are going to use jelly beans to learn the true meaning of Easter tomorrow. On Sunday, we will make the resurrection rolls as part of our Family Home Evening. Check out her ideas at We Talk of Christ, We Rejoice in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment