Friday, April 6, 2012

General Conference Thoughts

I have been reflecting on General Conference all week. I loved listening to the leaders of the church speak, and so many of the messages were things I needed to hear. I especially appreciated Elder Holland's talk and President Uchtdorf's talk. I liked President Uchtdorf's thought that if you are gossiping, judging, or envying others, Stop it! I am not sure I'd ever realized until I listened to conference that I do spend time envying others...and that I need to stop. Both Elder Holland and President Uchtdorf spoke about this.

Elder Holland said, "May I plead with us not to be hurt—and certainly not to feel envious—when good fortune comes to another person? We are not diminished when someone else is added upon. We are not in a race against each other to see who is the wealthiest or the most talented or the most beautiful or even the most blessed. The race we are really in is the race against sin, and surely envy is one of the most universal of those."

I am richly blessed and should focus on what I do have and not what I don't and should not envy others. There is one particular area in my life where I find this most difficult, but I am going to work on it.

I loved Elder Holland's explanation of the parable of the workers in the vineyard. It used to really bother me that they all worked very different numbers of hours and received the same wage, but over the last few years I have come to realize that what the Savior promises those who are faithful is "all that the Father hath" and that none of us truly deserves that, but that our Father and Savior love us enough to bless us that completely. In addition, those who labor throughout their lives receive many blessings during that labor that they wouldn't receive if they didn't begin to labor until late in the day/late in their lives. There is peace from working and laboring in God's kingdom throughout your life. Elder Holland's explanation about this parable added new depths to my understanding of this parable and made me even more grateful for a loving Savior and Father that are so desirous to bless me despite my imperfections.

I love this quote by Elder Holland as well: "Which leads me to my third and last point. This parable—like all parables—is not really about laborers or wages any more than the others are about sheep and goats. This is a story about God’s goodness, His patience and forgiveness, and the Atonement of the Lord Jesus Christ. It is a story about generosity and compassion. It is a story about grace. It underscores the thought I heard many years ago that surely the thing God enjoys most about being God is the thrill of being merciful, especially to those who don’t expect it and often feel they don’t deserve it."

Grace has been something I've been hearing about a lot lately. Our wonderful stake president spoke about grace in stake conference recently. A book on CD that I'm listening to has talked about it. Conference talked about it. As this Easter season is upon me, I have been reflecting on the grace that the Savior offers. The love that He offers us and how little, really, He asks in return. Repentance. Love. Obedience. That's all He asks.

Michelle, in particular, really tried to listen to conference. Ella was quite sick and slept through a lot of it and Gabby would listen for awhile but then get distracted. Michelle's favorite talk was the talk by Elder Neil L. Andersen. She especially liked the story about the family from Haiti where the three children were buried by the earthquake. The parents prayed and searched and finally heard a baby crying. Olgan Saintelus knew it was his baby crying, so they began to dig. Hours later, they hear a young child singing "I Am A Child of God". All three children were found alive. This story touched her heart, and it touched mine. Miracles do happen. I have a friend from high school whose son has epilepsy. He's been on medication for several years and they have taken him off the medication. If he can go an entire year seizure free without meds, they will consider him healed. He's now past 210 days. My friend updates every day on facebook and gives thanks to Heavenly Father. What a tremendous blessing and miracle! I know of others that have had miracles in their lives. In many ways, Ella's quick recovery after open heart surgery and her healthy heart now are a miracle. I know that God does hear and answer our prayers. But I also know that sometimes our prayers are not answered right away. Or that the answer that comes may not be the answer we were hoping for.

I loved what Elder Anderson said about that:"Miracles are not always so immediate. At times we thoughtfully wonder why the miracle we have so earnestly prayed for does not happen here and now. But as we trust in the Savior, promised miracles will occur. Whether in this life or the next, all will be made right. The Savior declares: “Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”31 “In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.”32

I testify that as you love Him, trust Him, believe Him, and follow Him, you will feel His love and approval. As you ask, “What thinks Christ of me?” you will know that you are His disciple; you are His friend. By His grace He will do for you what you cannot do for yourself."

No comments:

Post a Comment