Friday, October 23, 2009

Family History Journal.... A Favorite Childhood Game

I had lots of favorite games as a child. My grandma watched us while my parents worked and she had a swimming pool (I grew up in sunny Phoenix.). We spent many hours swimming, floating in the pool, playing "Marco Polo". When my grandpa was home, he would swim with us and pretend to be a "Drain Monster" and chase us around the pool. We swam nearly every day.

I loved to play hide-n-seek and tag with my two best friends, Joshua and Brandon. It was very sad when Brandon moved away in third grade.

At school, I loved to jump rope. I jumped rope nearly every day at recess and lunch. We would sing little chants and I was pretty good. In fourth grade, Cabbage Patch Kids were all the rage. I remember several of my friends and I made a little club. We would all bring our Cabbage Patch Kids and play with them at lunch.

We also played games as a family. As a young kid, I know we played Connect Four a lot. As we got older, we played a lot of Boggle. I'm sure we played other games as well, but those are the two that I remember playing the most often.

I don't know if these last two count as "games" but they figure prominently in my memories of playing as a child, so I'm going to include them. My sisters and I had a ton of Barbies. Probably more than 50. And tons of Barbie clothes. We spent hours dressing the Barbies and playing with them. Also, we had paperdolls. Some were store bought, but often my grandma would draw a paper doll and cut it out for us. I don't really remember spending much time playing with the actual paper dolls, but we spent countless hours with my grandma designing new clothes for them, drawing the clothes, coloring them and cutting them out. My grandma was really quite talented.

**If you'd like to participate in the Family History Journal, head over to Evette's.

3 comments:

  1. I loved to play with Barbies and paper dolls too as a child, and now Emma is in love with both of them. It is fun how things go in circles!
    I enjoyed reading about all the fun games and activities you did as a child. Thanks for sharing and participating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a Barbie girl too!
    What great memories you have of growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great memories Jenny! How fun to get to swim so much. I loved the part about the Barbies, I spent hours on end playing with mine:).

    P.S. I answered you back on my blog! Thank You!

    ReplyDelete