Sunday, November 15, 2009

Glad to live Now!

My lesson for Primary this week was on Winter Quarters, where the Saints camped/lived through the winters of 1846 and 1847. There were about 4,000 people living there in 1846. Most of them got sick. Partly from malaria from the mosquitoes, partly from the lack of fruits and vegetables, partly I'm sure from the rough living conditions. Anyway, about 600 people died. I was stunned by that number. I have read a lot about the Mormon pioneers that traveled across the plains, and I know that many people died on that trek. I hadn't realized so many died from illness then. More than 1 in every 8 people. That's overwhelming to contemplate.

It made me, not for the first time, very grateful to be alive today. We are so lucky to have the medical advances that we have. Most of us will live to be in our 70's or 80's or older, and we will primarily experience the inconveniences of relatively mild illnesses. I am not trying to downplay the seriousness of trials that we can and do face or saying that we shouldn't worry about illness at all. But I am truly grateful for modern medicine.

2 comments:

  1. I had the same thoughts when I was preparing my lesson. I was also amazed at the story of the family of six children who had to take care of each other while their father was on a mission. I can't even imagine my children trying to take care of each other with just the help of neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess my earlier comment works better here. At any rate, I am so thankful for medicine too! And electriciy, indoor plumbing, toilet paper, etc. etc. etc.

    ReplyDelete