Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Pennies for Peace

Sometimes my children's generosity surprises and overwhelms me. Michelle's school is doing a fundraiser called Pennies for Peace. Basically, a foundation is building schools in Pakistan and Afghanistan. For just pennies, they can begin to provide educations for girls in these war torn countries where girls are not educated. They can also provide educations that do not promote terrorism, fighting, etc.

About two years ago, I read an amazing book called Three Cups of Tea that tells the story of how Greg Mortensen has worked to build schools in Pakistan despite many difficulties. His goal is to promote peace through knowledge and education. Anyway, this book has stuck with me. It is one that I have not forgotten and that I have recommended to many others. Now Michelle's school is collecting pennies for his organization.

Michelle came home and told us about it last night. Tonight, she wanted to collect as many pennies as she could. We are saving for Disneyland. We have a huge coin jar that we drop any loose change and even some bills into. Even the girls contribute (Michelle has contributed all but $1 of her tooth fairy money to this jar. So they really don't want to ever take money out of the jar (I've raided it a couple times when I needed cash but always replaced the money. And yes, I realize that some loose change isn't going to get us to Disneyland. We're also saving in a savings account, but this is very visual and motivating especially for the girls... Anyway...) So tonight, Michelle dumped the jar over and fished out most of the pennies. She decided to leave some in so that she can get the rest tomorrow to take the next day. She wants to donate as much as possible to these kids. She told me all about it.

They have a bulletin board display at their school. It is amazing how little is needed to make a huge difference. A penny can buy a child a pencil. A dollar (100 pennies) a day pays a teacher's salary. Teachers only make about $200 per year.

I think this is a worthwhile cause and I'm pleased that Michelle is so eager to help. (P.S. If anyone wants to donate a handful of pennies to her to donate, she would be more than thrilled.)

If you want more information about this program or about the books go to the Pennie's for Peace website.

4 comments:

  1. I love it when schools do fund raisers to help charities. Pennies for Peace sounds like a fabulous cause.
    Michelle has a very kind heart!

    The middle school kids in our school are doing a 30 hour famine (basically a fast) to help children who are starving. I don't remember all the details (I have medicine head), but it's so cool when the schools help others. We are so fortunate.
    Thanks for sharing your school's story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Send her over this weekend... we'll be glad to donate a whole lot more than a handful of pennies! btw... xaria really wants to play... she cried tonight when I told her it was too late for a school night! Saturday afternoon??? Will you guys be home???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure we will be home on Saturday. Send her down! My girls would love it and we are finally all healthy here, except Alfredo. I think he has a sinus infection, but he won't go see a doctor. Anyway, the girls would LOVE, LOVE to play.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so sweet, I will fill my kids in and see if they have some spare pennies as well.

    On the Disney note...last year when we were saving for Disney Chuck had a great "visual" idea to go along with our savings that you could incorporate as well. His idea was to give each letter of "DISNEYLAND" a dollar amount (the total amount the trip will cost divided by 10) and each time we saved up that much we would put another letter up on the wall. Once "DISNEYLAND" was spelled out then we would have enough to go :0).

    ReplyDelete