Sunday, November 25, 2012

It's all about attitude

When it comes to attitude toward snow, my attitude has been much like this:
"A lot of people like snow. I find it to be an unnecessary freezing of water."
Carl Reiner

I don't like it. I don't like to drive in it. I don't like to walk in it. I don't like to lay in it. I don't like to have it thrown at me. I only like to look at it from inside my warm house while reading a good book and drinking hot chocolate. *I should mention that I. Don't. Like. To. Be. COLD. That is a big source of my dislike for snow.

But November is a month for gratitude and I was overwhelmed by gratitude for children a few Saturdays ago when we'd had a huge snowstorm. My children had a couple of friends over and they were talking about how beautiful the snow is. They were admiring the beauty of some icicles hanging, and how much snow had fallen over night. Their attitude was more like this:

"The first fall of snow is not only an event, it is a magical event. You go to bed in one kind of a world and wake up in another quite different, and if this is not enchantment then where is it to be found?"
J. B. Priestley

And so, for the day, I changed my attitude. I admired the beauty of the snow. I helped them start to make a snowman....which actually never got finished because they moved on to sledding. And for the day, I did see beauty in the snow and even more beauty and magic in the happiness it brought these sweet children.





No comments:

Post a Comment