Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Book Club

I have belonged to a book club for 5 years now. Currently, I am the book club president. We meet monthly, rotating to each house. I guard my time with my children pretty closely since I work full time, but I really look forward to book club. I enjoy discussing the books we read and getting the opportunity to read books that I might not read otherwise. I enjoy seeing what many of them are reading on Goodreads and adding their favorites to my "to read" shelf. But most importantly, I have become friends with these wonderful ladies. We've laughed together and prayed for one another and learned from one another.
Last Thursday was book club. I arrived a little late, because it was the same night as my daughters' piano recital. We had it at Hires and Becky was hosting. We'd read a series of books and she planned games to go along with them. We dressed in costumes...either what we had worn in high school or dressed like one of the characters in the book. We laughed and talked and ate and gave thanks. You see, in November, we discovered that one of the members of our book club has breast cancer. But they caught it early. She had a mastectomy at the beginning of last week. Her lymph nodes were clear. It appears she is cancer free and she may not even need radiation. Such wonderful news! Prayers were answered.

It was such a fun evening, and I am thankful that I have such good friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment