Monday, December 17, 2012

Tragedy at Sandy Hook

Friday tragedy struck an elementary school in Connecticut. A troubled young adult murdered his mother and then drove to Sandy Hook, Elementary and killed 20 children and 6 adults. Teachers bravely did all they could to protect their students, and some were able to save children's lives.

This tragedy, of course, raises many questions and brings a great deal of sorrow. No one ever wants to hear about the brutal murder of so many, especially of young ones. No one wants to feel like their children are unsafe at school. It is hard to comprehend how someone, anyone, could be so troubled that they would slay innocent young children. My heart grieves for those who lost loved ones and for those who witnessed or were in any way part of this terrible event and for the anguish they must be feeling. I feel blessed to have the knowledge of the gospel to comfort me and to know that those children are in a better place. I hope they too can be comforted and know that they will see their loved ones again.

There is danger in this world and we are never completely safe...harm could come from anywhere. And yet, this world is also filled with beauty and love and goodness. I love a quote from Mr. Rogers... "When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping." To this day, especially in times of "disaster," I remember my mother's words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world."

There are so many helpers and so many caring people in this world. I truly believe that if we look for the good in the world and the good in others that in most cases we will see it. I also believe that we can't live in fear of what may happen. We must go forward with faith, trusting the Lord that whatever happens we will be given the strength to endure and overcome.

I saw on Facebook a quote about how much teachers care for their students. It won't let me copy and it may be copyrighted so I won't quote it directly. But essentially it said that we appreciate parents loaning their children to us each day. We love them. We educate and discipline and laugh with and cry with your children. We are driven crazy by your children and have hope for your children. We would take a bullet for your children. It isn't in the handbook and it isn't part of our job description, but we love them that much. So today, hug your kids tight and tell them that you love them. Then on Monday, hug your child's teacher and tell them thank you. I believe this to be true for most teachers. I know it is true for me. I can tell it is true for my childrens' teachers. I am so thankful for the dedication they show and the hard work they put into educating my children. The actual quote is found here.


So send your children to school and trust that they will be okay. We will do everything in our power to protect them. Pray for us and pray for them and then trust us to keep them safe and to do our best to educate them.

No comments:

Post a Comment