Monday, June 22, 2015

Record keeping

Tonight I was reading Jacob 4 and was struck by verses 1-3.  In verse 1, Jacob says he cannot write much because of the difficulty engraving on the plates.  He says in verse 2 that he knows that the record will give his children and people some knowledge concerning them.   And, then, in verse 3, he says,  "Now in this thing we do rejoice; and we labor diligently to engraven these words upon plates, hoping that our beloved brethren and our children will receive them with thankful hearts, and look upon them that they may learn with joy and not with sorrow, neither with contempt, concerning their firstaparents." 

Despite the difficulty of engraving on plates, they rejoiced and labored diligently, hoping that their words would be received with grateful hearts.  That pricked my conscience a bit.  From the time I was in 7th grade until I had my first child, I wrote in my journal faithfully.  For most of those years, I wrote at least once a week and often more regularly than that.  But after having children, I have not been as dedicated at keeping a journal.  This blog does serve as a journal to a large degree and I do get it printed out into a nice hardcover book each year.  But I can do better.  It is simple and easy to keep a journal in comparison to engraving on plates.  It can be handwritten in a book, typed on the computer or recorded here on my blog (although there are some things that are too private to post here.). I can do better and I am going to try to do better myself and help instill that habit in my children as well.

I know President Kimball said, "Those who keep a book of remembrance are more likely to keep The Lord in remembrance."  I know that to be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment