Tuesday, February 9, 2016

A comforting thought...

Last week I was feeling just a bit uncomfortable about turning 40.  Not sad exactly...can't really put my finger on my exact feeling.  I've had a good life and I don't want to pretend to be younger than I am or anything, but 40 was sounding older than I feel.


One evening, as I was thinking about it and also preparing to teach the Young Women on Sunday, I had a comforting thought.  Being 40 means my life is approaching half over.  I expect I will live between 80-90 years.  (It's possible that it may be longer or shorter, of course, but I'd say between 80-90 is likely.)   Which means I'm almost halfway home.  Almost halfway back to my Father.  That makes me feel a lot better about being 40.  One college professor of mine liked to refer to this earthly life as a parentheses in eternity...although it feels much longer than that to us as we experience it.  It's comforting to me to think that perhaps I am almost halfway through that parentheses.  I am certain there are still many lessons for me to learn, many trials still to endure, much that will humble me and strengthen me and hopefully mold me into a better person.  I hope there are still many opportunities for me to serve and hopefully bless others' lives as well as to be served and have others bless my life.  It's a wonderful thing to be alive, but I think it will also be wonderful to return home.  To be reunited with loved ones.  To live eternally with those we love most.  Being 40 isn't so bad after all.