Tuesday, February 9, 2016

A comforting thought...

Last week I was feeling just a bit uncomfortable about turning 40.  Not sad exactly...can't really put my finger on my exact feeling.  I've had a good life and I don't want to pretend to be younger than I am or anything, but 40 was sounding older than I feel.


One evening, as I was thinking about it and also preparing to teach the Young Women on Sunday, I had a comforting thought.  Being 40 means my life is approaching half over.  I expect I will live between 80-90 years.  (It's possible that it may be longer or shorter, of course, but I'd say between 80-90 is likely.)   Which means I'm almost halfway home.  Almost halfway back to my Father.  That makes me feel a lot better about being 40.  One college professor of mine liked to refer to this earthly life as a parentheses in eternity...although it feels much longer than that to us as we experience it.  It's comforting to me to think that perhaps I am almost halfway through that parentheses.  I am certain there are still many lessons for me to learn, many trials still to endure, much that will humble me and strengthen me and hopefully mold me into a better person.  I hope there are still many opportunities for me to serve and hopefully bless others' lives as well as to be served and have others bless my life.  It's a wonderful thing to be alive, but I think it will also be wonderful to return home.  To be reunited with loved ones.  To live eternally with those we love most.  Being 40 isn't so bad after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment