Monday, March 15, 2021

Mrs. Tipton wrong welcome

 In the summer before I started first grade, I received a postcard from Mrs. Tipton.  She was one of the first grade teachers at my school.  The postcard welcomed me to her class.  I was so excited for school to start and to be in her class.

On the first day, I was dropped off at school.  I went and lined up with Mrs. Tipton's class.  When school started, I went inside her class.  But almost immediately she checked roll and I wasn't on her list.  She told me I was in the wrong place.  I told her that I got a postcard.  She told me that I wasn't on her list.  She told me to go to the office to find out which class I was in.  I was a very, very shy child.  Walking to the office was terrifying--I wasn't really sure where the office was (though it was right by the first grade classrooms).  Finding out that I wasn't in Mrs. Tipton's class felt heartbreaking.  And having to then walk to my real first grade classroom by myself, LATE!, on the first day of school felt so scary and sad.

I found out I was in Mrs. Grigg's class and I loved her and it was a good year.  And as an adult now, and a teacher, I recognize that the first day of class is a hectic one.  I don't think Mrs. Tipton was mean and it was a simple mistake.  And yet, I still remember the fear and the sting from that experience.


What did I learn from this?

I try to be very kind to students at school.  I try to be helpful and look out for students, including those who aren't in my class.  

We all make mistakes and are in need of forgiveness.

At the time, it felt really frightening to have to walk to the office and then find my classroom on my own.  But Mrs. Tipton's class, Mrs. Grigg's class and the office were all very close together.  I was never in any actual danger.  There were people that would have helped me if I needed it.  Sometimes when we feel fear, it is unfounded and we are often capable of doing more than we think or realize!  (This is a lesson I think I have to keep learning and relearning.)

Even though it didn't quite work out the way I expected or hoped, it made an impression that my teacher sent a postcard.  For years--most of my career, I have sent a postcard to students the week before school starts to introduce myself and welcome them back to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment