Saturday, March 13, 2021

Sheep Goats Temple

 Matthew 25:31-33  shares the parable of the sheep and goats:

When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:

32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.


One day a couple of years ago, after work, I went to the Salt Lake Temple.  I work just a few minutes away, so I would try to go after work at least once or twice a month in 2018 and 2019.   One day I parked at the conference center and was crossing the street.  A woman crossed the street with me and began talking to me.  She was so happy I was going to the temple and had an obvious love for the temple.  As we talked for a few minutes, she referred to the parable of the sheep and goats and told me that most of her family were goats. That despite being taught the gospel, most had rejected it and didn't want to visit her or have anything to do with the church.   I listened and gave the woman a hug as I entered the temple.  She said she hoped some day we would meet in heaven again.  It was only a five minute conversation.  But I have thought about it often.  

 

I have such conflicting feelings about it.  Here are some of my thoughts/lessons learned:

First and foremost, I'm so glad that it is not up to ME to determine who are sheep and goats but only to try my best to love all people.  I know the Savior can judge much better than me.  (Though I am guilty of making judgments at times.)  

Second, I feel grateful that for whatever reason that sweet woman felt like she could talk to me.  I was a stranger, but she must have needed a listening ear and I am glad I could provide that listening ear.

Third, I want to be very careful about how I think and speak about my children or loved ones.  It does seem that many of my extended family (aunts, uncles, cousins) have turned away and I guess could be categorized as goats.  But I believe in the power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ and that people can change.  I feel a deep sadness that so many turn from the gospel I love.  But who knows whether they will return.  I don't want to make a final declaration that they are goats...goats may not change, but people do all the time.  And sometimes our words and attitudes about others help shape what they become.  I want to be careful to assume that my children and loved ones will become like Christ.  Their path to that destination may not always be as straight as I would hope but I have hope that Christ will keep reaching out to them and guiding them toward Him.  If there is truth in the idea of self-fulfilling prophecies, then I want to see myself, my children, my young women and all others as capable of and destined to become like God.



No comments:

Post a Comment