Saturday, February 2, 2013

MLK Art Project

I really admire and respect Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. One of the things I love about my job is that I feel like each day, I get to see and be apart of his dream coming true. My classroom is very multicultural. In my 15 years as a teacher, I have taught students from nearly every continent (no one from Australia...or Antarctica) and from a wide range of countries, ethnicities, languages, races, religions and cultures. And for the most part, these children do judge each other based on the content of their characters and not on the color of their skin. (Not that this never happens, it does.) We have come a long way in the past 50 years. There is still room to improve, but I am grateful for the progress that has been made. I love teaching about MLK to my class each year. I love reading "Martin's Big Words" by Doreen Rappaport. I love singing "Freedom Three" and "Once There Was a Man Named King". I get choked up year after year when I listen to an excerpt from his "I Have a Dream" speech.

This year, I promised my girls we would make an art project on Martin Luther King Day. So I googled MLK art projects and found simple peace sign and dove projects on paper plates. Gabby, esp., loves to paint. So we listened to most of the "I Have a Dream" speech while my girls painted.








No comments:

Post a Comment