Friday, September 27, 2013

My thoughts on Sunday Session of Stake Conference

President Isaac, our wonderful stake president, spoke about a woman who was drunk or high that came to his door in the middle of the night. She was crying and saying she didn't know who she was and couldn't someone help her. She said she came to their house because she saw the (porch) light. He related this to how many around us don't know who they are and are looking for light and truth. Many don't know where to find the truth.

He also read part of a letter from a sister missionary serving from my ward. She is in Illinois in an area with high poverty. The people have a lot of challenges. She wrote, "I may not know how to help someone but Jesus Christ knows exactly how to heal them and help them." That really touched me. How often I visit with people and hear their challenges and don't know how to help them. I still feel so young and so inexperienced in many ways. I don't know how to alleviate their suffering. But I do know that my Savior lives and that He loves them. And I know that He knows how to heal them and help them. And I can love them. I can't always alleviate their suffering, but I can love them and comfort them and bear testimony that He is there.

He also said that if you wonder why or how to do missionary work or who to teach or share your testimony with, ask of God. He will answer.

Sister Dewsnup spoke about driving home through a snow storm. It was terrifying. She was so thankful to come home. Our homes should be a sanctuary, a refuge from the storms of life, places of safety and peace.

She asked if our homes are places where we can grow physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually.

(Just a couple days before conference, I'd read on a blog--but can't remember which one--that our homes where people, feelings and the Spirit are safe...and that asking if we're keeping those 3 things safe can be a guideline for determining behavior. This reminded me of that.)

Elder Dewsnup talked about who we are. We literally have the seeds of Godhead within us, we are truly children of God. In a conference he attended while serving a mission wiht his wife, Elder Bednar said, "To avoid temptation and hte evils of the world, never forget who you are." That is profound. I know it is true.

No comments:

Post a Comment