Sunday, May 4, 2014

Remembered For...Family History Journal

This week's question is number 50: When all is said and done, what do you want to be remembered for? What are you doing now to make that happen?

Here is what I hope can be said of me when I die: Jenny was a loving wife, mother, and grandmother. She was dedicated to her family. They brought her great joy. She was a wonderful teacher who blessed many children's lives. She served and helped others. She was smart and empathetic and honest. She was hard working.

But mainly, I hope that it can be said that I was a disciple of Christ, that I tried to follow Christ's example and live as He would have me live.

What am I doing now to make that happen? Well, I am a mom, a wife,a teacher and an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I try very hard to be a good mom and wife. I fall short...nearly every day as a wife and mom, but I am trying and I love my family deeply. I am very busy, but I try as much as possible to not have my many responsibilities keep me away from my children more than necessary.

I am a dedicated teacher...I love my students and I am good at building a rapport with them and creating a positive environment in my classroom. I am quite good at teaching reading and pretty good at teaching math. There are a million ways I could improve, but I think/hope/believe that I am a good teacher.

I read a lot and I am always trying to learn new things. I genuinely enjoy learning. I work hard...pretty sure that can already be said about me.

I try to live so that I can have the companionship of the Holy Ghost and so that I can be prompted to know when others are in need of service. I am trying to listen to and follow the promptings I receive. Sometimes I get tired and selfish and I don't listen or follow through...but I am trying to do better, day by day. I am trying to put the things that matter most at the forefront of my life, and the better I do at doing this, the better I am at each of my responsibilities. I am striving to develop empathy and charity. I am far from perfect, I am far from where I hope to be when I leave this life, but I know that as I put my trust in God and through the Atonement of Christ, He can make me into so much more than I am on my own. I can become as clay in the potter's hand (Jeremiah 18:1-6). I love this BYU talk about being a clay in the potter's hand.

I am not who I want to be yet, and know that I won't ever make it there on my own. I have far too many weaknesses and far too few talents or gifts to be who I hope to be. I am very human. But, thankfully, none of us has to do this on our own. We can have the help of our Master. With his help, I can become even more than I want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment