Sunday, August 10, 2008

books for back to school

My sister and I both have children starting kindergarten in a few weeks. She mentioned on her blog that my nephew Evan is a little nervous. Michelle is way excited, but will probably be nervous and shy at first too. I thought maybe reading some books about kindergarten and school would be helpful. Here are a few that I know and like, plus a couple more that I'm going to check out and read to Michelle.

First Day Jitters by Julie Danneberg This cute story has a surprise at the end. It helps kids know that everyone is a little nervous the first day.

First Year Letters by Julie Danneberg

Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten by Joseph Slate (there's a whole series about Miss Bindergarten and kindergarten)

Ms. Bitsy Bat's kindergarten by Pamela Duncan Edwards

I"m Telling You Dex, Kindergarten Rocks! by Katie Davis

First Day by Joan Rankin

Brand new pencils, brand new books by Diane DeGroat... cute story

Wemberly Worried by Kevin Henkes (I like Kevin Henkes books!)

Many of these are obviously for kindergartners, but a few would be good for 1st-4th graders too. I read First Year Jitters to my 3rd graders every year.

8 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say that I love your new background!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I'll have to check some of these out at the library too.

    So what's up with Gabrielle!?! Have you tried jumping on the tramp yet? (kidding)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also a fan of The Night Before Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read Janene's blog and found out that you had your baby today! Congratulations on your sweet baby girl! She is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, Panamenos,

    I came across your blog it's great to recommend books about school jitters. I did want to let you know, however, that the book you have listed as "I'm telling you Dex, Kindergarten Rocks!" is not the title! I know this because I'm the author (and I'll never put any other text on a title page again-you're not the first to misname it!) It's actually called just Kindergarten Rocks!

    Thank you for listing it, though! I do appreciate that!

    Katie Davis

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Panamenos,

    I came across your blog it's great to recommend books about school jitters. I did want to let you know, however, that the book you have listed as "I'm telling you Dex, Kindergarten Rocks!" is not the title! I know this because I'm the author (and I'll never put any other text on a title page again-you're not the first to misname it!) It's actually called just Kindergarten Rocks!

    Thank you for listing it, though! I do appreciate that!

    Oh, and btw, I'm offering a discount on my school visits if you are interested. Take a look at my blog to find out more: http://authorkatiedavis.blogspot.com

    Katie Davis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for the book recomendations. My oldest is starting full-day kindergarten in 13 days and she is excited beyond belief. I, on the other hand, want to cry everytime I think about it. I think I'll get the books for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I understand Leslie. :) I can't believe Michelle is ready for kdg. so soon. It doesn't seem possible that it was a little over five years ago that I brought her home from the hospital.

    My girls love the book Kindergarten Rocks. Sorry about the mistake on the title. :)

    ReplyDelete