Tuesday, August 26, 2008

first days of kindergarten

Michelle started kindergarten yesterday. School actually started today, but they had a special first day for kindergarten only yesterday. Parents attended with the children (Alfredo went since Gabrielle is only 2 weeks old now). This week school goes from 8:15 -11:00. Next week there is no school so they can do kindergarten testing. Then they will start full day kinder on September 8.

Michelle and Ella before Michelle left for her first day. She looks cute in her school uniform.
showing off her backpack
on the Jackson sign in front of school this morning
lined up ready to go to class... Mom felt a little choked up but so proud!
Michelle made a calendar in kindergarten yesterday. She already knows how to write most, if not all, of her numbers. But her teacher taught them a song about forming letters and she came home and could sing the whole song to me. I was impressed that she had learned the whole song already.
She is so excited about school. I know she will do great. She was expecting to have 2 teachers, Miss Jennifer and Sra. Dahlquist, and was a little surprised/disappointed to have a different teacher Mrs. Pereda (I'm not sure on the spelling). But she likes her. I'm not sure if her teacher will be her teacher all year or is just a sub. But for now, I'm glad that Michelle is happy and enjoying school and excited to learn. We made a "school survival kit" for her teacher (thanks for the idea to Alyson and her friend Darcie!) which Michelle said her teacher loved.

5 comments:

  1. HOORAY! I'm glad your first day was so wonderful Michelle! You look so beautiful in your uniform!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She does look fabulous in her uniform and SO HAPPY to be at school!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! Michelle looks so grown up! I love her hair in the backpack picture too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may choke up a bit here. I am seriously SO sad that she won't be coming to our house anymore. She made me laugh throughout the day, was always the calm one - when I needed to take a quick shower she was who I put in charge. She was my big helper! She is going to do great in school. Have so much fun cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nene... she'll still be at your house from time to time on days when teachers have meetings. In fact, most likely she'll be there on Friday, Sept. 26. (assuming Alfredo has found a job by then). and we'll still play together often. but i know it won't be the same. she'll miss it too.

    she loves school so far.

    ReplyDelete