Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Sweet Gabrielle

Gabrielle Aaliyah Panameno finally came! She was born at 3:34 AM on Monday, August 11. She weighed 8 pounds, 13 ounces and was 21 1/4 inches long. She's a big baby... almost a pound heavier than we expected. (Michelle was 7 pounds 15 oz. and Ella was 7 pd. 11 0z.)


I had contractions off and on Sunday evening (but I'd been having them off and on all week). At 11, I went to bed to see if I could sleep/if they would continue or stop. At about midnight, I woke up from fitful dozing and was having contractions still. I got up, showered, walked around and decided I should wake Alfredo and head to the hospital. We left a little after 1, dropped the girls off at Janene's (they were wide awake and excited) and got to the hospital about 2:15. By then my contractions were only about 2 minutes apart. After signing in and everything, they examined me and said I was dilated to a four. We were a little disappointed, but oh well. By 3:10, the contractions were right on top of each other and I really thought I would need an epidural. They thought maybe I was dehydrated and gave me fluids to see if that would slow the contractions down. I told myself to wait 10-15 minutes before asking for an epidural. I had Alfredo help me onto my left side. Within minutes, I felt like I needed to go to the bathroom. I knew this is often a sign that you're ready to push, but since I was only a four about 40 minutes before, I figured that couldn't be right. So Alfredo called the nurse and I told her. She checked me and sure enough, I was a 10. They didn't expect that and started busily calling the doctor and preparing for her birth and making me breathe through contractions which became increasingly difficult. My water broke and there was meconium in it which worried them so they called the NICU. Soon it was obvious that Gabrielle was coming, so they called in a resident because the doctor still wasn't there. (When they'd first called him, I'm sure they figured it would be several hours until I delivered). So the resident delivered Gabrielle. She was born about an hour after I was first examined. Pretty quick! But we did make it to the hospital this time! :) And while Gabrielle's 1 minute Apgar score was low and she had swallowed a little meconium, by 5 minutes her Apgar score was a nine. I was able to hold her about 10 minutes after she was born and she nursed immediately and has been nursing well ever since. Her sisters adore her, especially Ella. Here are a bunch of photos. My three sweet girls
me, a few hours before going into labor, 40+ weeks pregnant
gotta love my hair... I don't ever look pretty after giving birth, don't know how some people can... this was about 20 minutes after Gabrielle was born

going home
going home
Alfredo with Gabrielle




15 comments:

  1. WOW!!! Congratulations, Jenny and Alfredo!! She is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad she got her good looks from her Mom, we would not her to look like and Afgahni!! She is beautiful, congratulations even though I did not will the baby pool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! What a beautiful, almost full-grown, little baby girl! She's beautiful. Loved the story. Nurses are so funny when caught off guard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is BEAUTIFUL! And you ARE AMAZING AND BEAUTIFUL! I cannot believe you do that natural! WOW! Congratulations!! Call me if you need ANYTHING, ANYTHING!!!! I plan to have the girls come play tomorrow, still! So happy for you all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is gorgeous! Love her hair and her fuzzy newborn skin.
    Your girls seemed very excited yesterday at school!
    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the beautiful new baby!

    I've been thinking about you all week. I'm thrilled everything went so well.

    Hooray for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah! Congratulations Panamenos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greg, you always make me laugh. I think all of our girls are a nice combo of the two of us. They're all more beautiful than either Alfredo or I. :)

    I'm glad to be home and glad that she's finally here. Wish she would decide to sleep at night a little though. She thinks she should eat nonstop from about midnight until 6 am.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats!! She is sooo cute!!
    Love, The Alversons

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations guys! She is so adorable and chubby, I love it! Those 3 girls are going to be the best of friends (and sometimes the worst of friends). You did great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. CONGRATS! I am so excited for you. Maybe we should hang out in the middle of the night.....Kortnee has that same problem of thinking she needs to eat all through the night! Can't wait to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank goodness, last night was a little better. I got sleep from 2-5 AM and then 6 -9 AM. The two nights previously I had less than 3 hours total each night. Today I felt human again. Tired, but alive. :) I hope Kortnee and Gabrielle start sleeping better soon. Today was really a lot better though. Now that my milk has come in, she seems able to go an hour or two between feedings with a couple 3 hour stretches. Before that, she'd have maybe 2 2 hour stretches but the rest of the time i was feeding her every half hour to 45 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. She is sooo BEAUTIFUL! Congratulations! I have been thinking about you all week, I am glad that everything went well! And you are AMAZING, going natural, I absolutely admire your strength and endurance! You are a baby making machine! We can't wait to meet her! I hope you are feeling okay after having such a big and beautiful baby (you are so tiny)!

    Why don't you plan a day that the girls can come and play with us!

    Give her lots and lots of hugs and kisses from the Smith's!

    ReplyDelete
  14. P.S. I love it when they are big and healthy and chubby...that's my favorite kind of baby:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. congratulations!!!!!! Oh my she is big but soooo beautiful!! All of your girls are!

    ReplyDelete