Saturday, September 26, 2009

Complicated

Teaching is so complicated. Some years feel harder than others. This year is going to be challenging. My class is very nice, but they are very low academically. Most of my students are reading below grade level, 1/3 of them are more than 2 years behind. They also struggle with writing, spelling and math. It is easy to get discouraged...for myself, but especially for them. Many of their lives are hard and education is their ticket to hopefully improve their lives, to get out of the poverty and abuse and other difficulties they face. But with one teacher to 24 students, and so much curriculum to cover, it is discouraging at times. How can I help them achieve? How can I help them learn to read and write in English (a second language for most of them) and help them achieve proficiency in math? And if I don't, what will happen? Of course, I know what will happen for me/for my school. We won't make AYP (adequate yearly progress under No Child Left Behind) and the sanctions begin... we get to hear regularly how we aren't doing enough, how we need to work harder, try harder, teach more, assess more, intervene more, etc. But more importantly, if I don't succeed what will happen to them? It feels as if I see the answer when I meet with many of their parents... they will live on welfare or take drugs or abuse their children or end up in prison, and repeat what has been done to them. As a teacher in a poorer neighborhood, I feel somewhat like a trapeze artist, walking this tightrope between hope and despair. Hope that I can and will change lives. That what I'm doing matters and means something. That for at least some of these children, I will be the one to give them a brighter future or to help them see that they are loved and valuable. Despair that I can't do more than I am (given my physical limitations and time constraints and imperfections as a teacher and a human being) and that for many of them, the future will be bleak. I believe in education and it's power to change lives. I believe in public education and that over all we are doing a good job. But I also know that it isn't enough...more needs to be done for these children, but I don't know how, and I don't have any more time. It's a dilemma, an invigorating one at times and depressing at others. I love the challenge of trying new things and seeing kids learn and get excited and grow. But I am saddened by the kids that don't make the progress they should and wish I was more successful. And that more of them had loving, supportive, educated families that could fill in the gaps that I leave. Don't get me wrong. The majority of the parents do love their kids and do want what is best for them. But many of them don't know how to provide that for them, due to their limited English or limited education or because they spend 10 or more hours a day just trying to eke out a living to provide for their kids. They are tired and overworked and don't have the time and energy to help. (And sometimes I can relate...although I don't work as many hours, it is hard to work and then come home and prepare dinner and help with homework and clean up from dinner and get kids ready for bed and so on... I have empathy for these parents... and at least I don't have constant worry about finances and I am educated and I do speak English and I came from a great home...)

But I must admit, I feel a little ashamed this weekend. I was talking to Brenda, my friend and the other 3rd grade teacher at my school. Our classes are very similar, although mine is a little easier and a little higher. I was telling her how very worried I am for these kids. She agreed. I said I didn't know what to do to help them... and we talked about a few ideas. Then as we were leaving, she said that she had asked friends to pray for her class. She believes in God, but isn't religious. But she said she's considered going to different prayer sites on the computer and asking for prayers for her class. I was a little ashamed that here she was the one talking to me about prayer. I have prayed for students before, and this is obviously not a new concept for me, but I have not been praying for this class this year. I am going to start, and especially praying for the children I am most concerned about. As much as I love the students in my class and worry about them, the Lord knows and loves them more. They are His children. If anyone else would like to pray for my class, I would certainly welcome that.

One happy note. I got a new student this week. I had been told she may be difficult. She was removed from her home for abuse/neglect and put in foster care. Then she was removed from that foster care home for abuse/neglect and just put in a new foster home a week ago. She is darling and sweet. On Friday she told me that she was sad it was a half day. I asked why. She said that she loves school. She said she has always hated school, but that she loved it now. I don't know if it is because she is finally in a safe home with a caring, attentive foster mom or because I have tried to make her feel welcome and the other students have welcomed her or because she is in a class where many of her peers are struggling students like her and she is finally not the very lowest in the class (maybe there is 1 advantage to having a low class and that is that struggling learners don't stick out so much!) or a combination of all these things, but this little girl who has had a very rough life is happy. Let's hope and pray that this continues!

7 comments:

  1. I can't even imagine being in your situation. It's things like that that make me question whether or not I should get my teaching certificate. I cannot imagine how frustrating that must be to have so many students not speaking English.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a touching post. I wonder if all teachers feel like this Jenny. I only teach my own kids and have similar feelings about their futures and how to do a better job. I think Brenda's idea of prayer is excellent. It's funny how no matter how big a part of our lives prayer is, occasionally we have an 'oh, duh' moment. I had the same kind of experience with a friend of mine where she recommended I pray too. Then I felt like that discussion solidifies our friendship a little more, that she's looking out for me and not afraid to recommend personal prayer.

    I appreciate your struggling for these kids Jenny. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think (from discussions with many teachers) that most teachers do feel this way, or at least most teachers that work in low income areas. Teaching can be very rewarding and it can also be very discouraging. But certainly not all schools have so many students that speak another language. And that can be both frustrating and exciting. It is frustrating in the sense that they are expected to perform just as well as their English speaking peers, even though all experts agree that it takes 4-7 years to become truly fluent in English. But it is exciting to work in an area of high diversity and to see how quickly they do learn and to be part of the whole "melting pot" that the U.S. is. Like I said, there's good and bad both mixed in. Hope and despair. Frustration and excitement. Never a dull moment, that's for sure! It was easier, I think, before I had kids. I had more time to dedicate and more emotion. Now with my own kids at home, if I use up too much of my emotion, then I come home tired and emotionally drained and unable to cope with my family. But maybe that keeps me more healthy/balanced? I don't know. Anyway, thanks for listening to my ramblings... Brandi, you've heard way too, too many of them lately. And I think you'd be an AMAZING teacher (well, you are an amazing teacher) and would probably love teaching kinder or 1st grade...and certainly not all schools are as challenging as mine, at least not in the same ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny, I'm so sorry you have a tough class this year. I empathise with you. I used to come home from teaching at Woodrow Wilson feeling EXACTLY the same way, with the same frustrations. It is so hard as a teacher when you work with these kiddo's and they DO gain so much in a year, but because of AYP and NCLB that they are considered to be failing. The government really has to look into doing something different for these ESL learners. I don't understand why it has to be so difficult for these poor kids who have so much discouragement in their home and family lives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny! YOU are an AMAZING teacher! Just the fact that you care so much for the children (each individual) in your class, is a HUGE step ahead! Having worked in that same school, I know that as educators, we are limited by circumstance. I am SO pationate about ESL and the issues surrounding it, and yet, I too often feel despair. Not only am I dealing with ESL, but also children with true disabilities. But... for me (I'm speaking for myself now, of course), the NCLB crap is just that! Each individual child IS MAKING progress! Sometimes it is very little in the big scheme of things, but, I like to remind myself that the progress they make is in part due to what I am teaching! I know, I don't have the pressures you do as a classroom teacher and don't have to worry as much about AYP and all of the laws, but just remember that YOU are making a HUGE difference, just by your example and your love! The academic stuff is just icing on the cake!

    And Brandi - you should SO get your teaching certificate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cried as I read what you wrote. It must hurt to invest emotionally in kids whose lives have such challenges, but I think you are so awazing for it!

    I hope I can tuck away in my heart what you wrote, and when I don't have so many little ones at home, volunteer as reading help at a low income school- and try to remember that it may touch a life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenny you really are so AMAZING! I know that you try very hard and have your whole heart invested into those children. I was amazed with the little that you shared with me with what you do in a day and I think that they are in the very best place they could be. It would be so wonderful if there was a system in place to track the indiviual growth of students and then convert that into the overall growth of the school on average...maybe someday!

    That little foster girl in your class makes me want to take in a young little foster child. I am so glad to hear that she has some happiness and hope in her life!

    I WILL pray for your class!!

    ReplyDelete